Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Records deal with the work of Friends in running mission stations in Oklahoma among the Iowa, Modoc, Kickapoo, Oto, Shawnee, Osage and other Native Americans. Letters from superintendents and missionaries in the field describe the difficulties and experiences of Friends in their work. Topics discussed include attempts to Christianize the Native Americans, improve living conditions, Native American education, use of peyote and alcohol, disease, Native American dances, conflicts with other...
Overview Journal entries describe Pugh's travel from St. Louis, Missouri, to Lawrence, Kansas, Quaker meetings attended, meetings with "Indian agents" and officials, and visits to tribes and make payments.
Overview Each volume of John Richards's letterbooks contains business correspondence related to his work as an Indian Agent in Kansas. All letters are written by John Richards, and the majority of letters are addressed to Enoch Hoag, the Superintendent of Indian Affairs. In addition to Enoch Hoag, correspondence in Richards's letterbooks is addressed to the following: Dunlap & Flora, Russell Shlickler, James Haworth, F. Buckley, Robert Ferris, George P. Laflin, Henry Breiner, General Davidson, R.S....
Overview Thomas Wistar's journal entries largely describe his work as an Indian Commissioner, including visits to Washington D.C. and various trips to Native American Reservations and Indian Agencies, including the Seneca Nation and the Wichita Indian Agency. In addition to his work as a commissioner, entries detail social calls with family and friends, descriptions of Quaker meetings, and religious reflection and prayers.
- Subject: Osage Indians -- History X
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 3
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma 2
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Seneca Indians 2
- Shawnee Indians -- History 2
- diaries 2
- Cherokee Indians 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Modoc Indians -- History 1
- Oto Indians -- History 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- correspondence 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less
- Wistar, Thomas 2
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Kelsey, Rayner Wickersham 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1