Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Very little is known about the early life of Ralph Hodgson (1871-1962), a British poet. In the 1890s, he worked as a newspaper and magazine illustrator, signing some of his works 'Yorick', and, in 1913, founded "The Sign of the Flying Fame" publishers along with Claud Lovat Fraser and Holbrook Jackson. Hodgson published a variety of poetry volumes prior to joining that army at the beginning of World War I. In 1923, he accepted a position as a lecturer in English at Sendai University in Japan....
Dates: 1896 - 1984
Overview Richmond Lattimore (1906-1984) taught Greek at Bryn Mawr College from 1935-1971. While at Bryn Mawr, Lattimore frequently celebrated the college in verse, whether at faculty dinners, inaugurations, convocations, or in his personal poems. He published several volumes of original and translated poetry, critical works,translations, essays and collaborated with other scholars on works such as the "Hanover Poems" and "The Complete Greek Tragedies." The collection is divided into the following five...
Dates: 1924 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1980
Collection — Box: 1-24
Overview Marianne Craig Moore (1887-1972) was an award-winning modernist poet. She graduated from Bryn Mawr in 1909 with a B.A. in history, economics, and politics. The poet was published for the first time in 1915, and by 1920, her poetry was frequently featured in The Dial, a magazine that served as an outlet for modernist thought and art. From 1925-1929, Moore was editor of The Dial. During the 1930s and 1940s, she published her poetry in books and did freelance writing. The 1950s and 1960s brought...
Dates: 1904 - 1991; Majority of material found within 1905 - 1972
- Poetry, Modern -- 20th Century 2
- Bible. Acts. English. Lattimore. 1982 1
- Dial (Chicago) 1
- Epic poetry, Greek -- Translations into English 1
- Greek drama (Tragedy) -- History and criticism 1
- Greek drama (Tragedy) -- Translations into English 1
- Greek language -- Metrics and rhythmics 1
- Inscriptions, Greek 1
- Mythology, Greek -- Drama 1
- Women poets, American -- 20th century -- Biography 1 ∧ less
- Adelman, Seymour, 1906-1985 1
- Alexander, the Great, 356 B.C.-323 B.C. 1
- Bryn Mawr College 1
- Eliot, T. S. (Thomas Stearns), 1888-1965 1
- Flanner, Janet, 1892-1978 1