Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Content note This collection is composed of the single volume manuscript by Joseph C. Carter, entitled "Philadelphia Quaker Philanthropists: Ann and George Williams." The manuscript provides a brief biography of, and genealogical information for, Ann Trimble Williams and George Williams and their involvement in early Philadelphia philanthropic societies, including the Magdalen Society.
Overview The Cope-Evans papers cover the years 1683 to 2012 and detail the history of the inter-related Cope and Evans families, important Philadelphia-area Quakers. The papers are divided into four series: Personal and Family papers, Business papers, J. Morris Evans papers, and Miscellaneous.
Scope and Contents The collection includes materials from many different philanthropic organizations William Morris Maier served with, especially those he served as treasurer for. Each organization comprises its own series, with subseries for correspondence, reports and publications, minutes, and financial papers.Series I contains materials from the Ludwick Institute. Correspondence is mostly between the Institute and organizations it funded. These include the Zoological Society of Philadelphia,...
Scope and Contents This collection contains one volume of minutes from the Provident Society for Employing the Poor. It includes minutes, which are comprised of financial decisions and nominations. It also includes loose letters in the back, which mostly relate to the resolution to dissolve the organization in 1924. It also includes drafts of announcements, typed treasurer reports, and other correspondence.
Overview Moses Sheppard (1775-1857) was a Quaker humanitarian and businessman of Baltimore, Maryland. He was the son of Nathan and Sarah Shoemaker Sheppard, born outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After their property was confiscated during the Revolutionary War, the family settled in Maryland. Sheppard never married and devoted most of his life to a number of social reforms, including the treatment of the insane and the colonization movement. As a member of Baltimore Monthly Meeting, he was active...
Overview Mary Williams Shoemaker (1861-1953) was a Quaker philanthropist from Germantown, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Franklin and Mary (Williams) Shoemaker. The collection contains chiefly journals (1934-1945) and correspondence (1914-1953) relating to Shoemaker's support of Quaker historical, educational, and social service agencies; together with correspondence of her brother, Thomas Howard Shoemaker (1851-1936), relating to his historical interests and civic activities. Includes deeds and...
Overview The collection, primarily of correspondence of Quaker Beulah Hurley (1886-) relating principally to her relief work after World War I in Europe and Russia under the auspices of several Friends' groups and the photographs of Quaker P. Alston Waring (1895-1978) taken in Europe, East Asia, California, Central America and mainly in India between 1915 and 1954.
Overview The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
Overview The Underwood family was a Quaker family, of Millville, Pennsylvania, and Woodbury, New Jersey. The collection contains chiefly papers of Warner Underwood (1851-1941), Quaker businessman and philanthropist, and his wife, Tamar Eliza John Underwood (1848-1932), including personal correspondence, financial and legal records (1876) relating to a sawmill in Centre County, Pa., student copy work, memorabilia, and historical material relating to Millville.
Scope and Contents The collection is divided into six sections: correspondence, committee reports, Quaker tracts and pamphlets, university and college materials, responsible investing materials, and miscellaneous. “Correspondence” includes correspondence to Carolena between 1917-1920. A significant number of letters re addressed to Carolena from female correspondents, as well as from Friends she was personally close with or had financially or otherwise assisted (by procuring employment, housing, or...
- Subject: Quaker philanthropists X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 7
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 4
- American Friends Service Committee 2
- Friends Freedmen's Association 2
- Bliss, Ann 1
- Carter, Joseph C. 1
- Cheyney State College 1
- Comfort, Howard 1
- Cope family 1
- Cope, Annette 1
- Cope, Caroline E. (Caroline Elizabeth) 1
- Cope, Clementine 1
- Cope, Elizabeth Stewardson 1
- Cope, Thomas P. (Thomas Pim) 1
- Cope, William D. (William Drinker) 1
- Dungan, Joshua 1
- Ellicott, Thomas, 1779-1859 1
- Emlen Institution for the Benefit of Children of African and Indian Descent (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- Evans family 1
- Evans, Anne Tall 1
- Evans, Francis Algernon 1
- Evans, J. Morris 1
- Evans, Rachel Reeve Cope 1
- Fiduciary Corporation of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Free masons 1
- Friends Fiduciary Corporation (1920-1975) 1
- Gandhi, Mahatma, 1869-1948 1
- Garrison, William Lloyd, 1805-1879 1
- Gassett, Henry, 1813-1886 1
- Hallowell, Benjamin, 1799-1877 1
- Haverford College 1
- Jackson, John, 1809-1855 1
- Jones, William 1
- Ludwick Institute 1
- Maier, William Morris 1
- Malik, Gurdial 1
- Maryland State Colonization Society 1
- McGill, Samuel F. (Samuel Ford) 1
- Mission Anglo-Américaine de la Société des Amis 1
- Morris, Marriott Canby 1
- Notre-Dame de Paris (Cathedral) 1
- Pennsylvania Society for the Promotion of Public Economy 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Provident Society for the Employment of the Poor 1
- Sheppard Asylum 1
- Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital 1
- Sheppard, Moses, 1775-1857 1
- Shinn, James Thornton 1
- Shoemaker family 1
- Shoemaker, Mary Williams, 1861-1953 1
- Shoemaker, Nathan, 1788-1868 1
- Shoemaker, Thomas (Thomas Howard), 1851-1936 1
- Stewart, Joshua H. 1
- The Harned (Moylan, Pa.) 1
- Tyson, Elisha, 1750-1824 1
- Underwood family 1
- Underwood, Tamar Eliza John, 1848-1932 1
- Underwood, Warner, 1851-1941 1
- Waring, Beulah Hurley 1
- Waring, P. Alston (Pinckney Alston) 1
- Wood, Carolena Morris, 1871-1936 1
- Wood, James (Jim) 1
- Wood, Richard Reeve 1 ∧ less