Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract The collection contains a signed typescript of short religious messages addressed to "Our separate but united meeting." These apparently were part of an informal group which worshipped together and prepared inspirational "messages" for distribution among the group and for institutions.
Overview Memorials are brief biographical essays which testify to the spiritual values of a Quaker's life. Early meetings only wrote memorials for ministers, but today some meetings continue the practice to memorialize all deceased members. In the 19th century, in particular, some Yearly Meetings periodically published compilations of memorials. This collection consists of miscellaneous memorials, from various meetings and regarding various Friends, collected by the Friends Historical Library over time.
Dates: 1760 - 1920
Overview While the Society of Friends is a "ministry of all believers," historically certain members have been recognized for their spiritual gifts. Those who undertake to travel and preach with the approbation of their home meeting are known as Public Friends. Especially in the 17th, 18th, and 19th century, traveling ministers served a key role in forming Quaker social and theological networks, fostering unity within the Society of Friends, and providing spiritual enrichment to Quakers across the...
Dates: 1656 - 1899
Overview Margaretta Walton (1829-1904), eminent Quaker minister of Ercildoun, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The collection contains diaries and correspondence of Walton and her husband, Jesse Pusey Walton; business papers and memorabilia; sermons; and related papers. Also included in the collections are journals (1836-1853) of her father, Joseph Shoemaker Walton, who was companion to several Quaker ministers.
- Subject: Quaker women ministers X
- Walton, Margaretta, 1829-1904 2
- Benezet, Anthony 1
- Fallowfield Monthly Meeting of Friends 1
- Fothergill, Samuel 1
- Foulke, Joseph, 1786-1863 1
- Francke, Marie Ogden, 1878-1955 1
- Griscom, Sarah M., 1839-1895 1
- Hallowell, Benjamin, 1799-1877 1
- Hull, Hannah Clothier, 1872-1958 1
- Kersey, Jesse, 1768-1845 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite: 1828-1955) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955) 1
- Richardson, Nathaniel, 1839-1920 1
- Walton, Jesse Pusey, 1825-1859 1
- Walton, Joseph S. (Joseph Shoemaker), 1792-1876 1
- Western Quarterly Meeting (Society of Friends) 1
- Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892 1
- Wilson, Rachel, 1720-1775 1 ∧ less