Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview This collection contains the typed correspondence of the Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
Abstract Collection of manuscript drafts of epistles prepared by Baltimore Yearly Meeting to send to the Yearly Meetings of Philadelphia, New York, Rhode Island, and North Carolina. Most concern the education and treatment of Indians, African Americans, and Quaker children; also, opposition to war and the production of liquor by Friends. All are handwritten with corrections.
Overview Patricia Loring was a Quaker author, teacher, and retreat leader, most active in her related work in the 1980s and 1990s. She was the author of a widely read Quaker spiritual guide, Listening Spirituality, vols. 1 and 2. For eight years her ministry was supported by Bethesda Friends Meeting, Bethesda, Maryland. This collection includes a variety of Patricia Loring's papers, largely beginning when she joined the Religious Society of Friends. Much of the collection consists of papers from...
Dates: 1982 - 2015
Overview This collection is composed of the single, handwritten document by an unknown author. It reads similiarly to minutes that may have been taken. It also includes a note on the inside that "The Individuals to whose names the * is attached in the following sheets were acive and influential "Hicksites" at the time or afterwards" [Emphasis theirs].
"Education of the Freedmen By Philadelphia and Baltimore Quakers During the Civil War and Reconstruction Period"
Overview Frank O. Wargny's 1947 master's thesis at John Hopkins University, entitled "Education of the Freedmen by Baltimore Quakers during the Civil War and Reconstruction Period," describes the efforts of Philadelphia and Baltimore area Quakers to provide education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. It provides a brief history of Philadelphia area Quakers' abolition efforts prior to the Civil War, including the work of Benezet and Woolman, but the majority of the manuscript focuses on the...
Overview The George Webb and Eleanor Brooks Webb papers include the extensive journals, correspondence, and other papers of Baltimore Quakers Eleanor and George Webb. Eleanor's detailed journals cover most of her life -- from her 12th year until her death in 1997. Also of particular interest are the correspondence, album, photographs, and other records of George work in Civilian Public Service during World War II.
Overview This collection consists of Epistles from England, Ireland, and the United States.
Overview Contemporary copies of epistles and extracts of Yearly Meeting minutes, and of Women Friends, of London, Dublin, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Virginia, Rhode Island from 1698-1842.
Dates: 1668 - 1940
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 5
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 3
- Baltimore (Md.) 2
- Quaker women 2
- Quakers 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Quakers -- Ireland 2
- Quakers -- Maryland 2
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- History -- Sources 2
- African Americans -- Education 1
- Epistles 1
- Indians of North America -- Education 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Quaker authors -- 20th century 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Correspondence 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Maryland -- Baltimore 1
- Quakers -- United States 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- United States 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Spirituality -- Society of Friends 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1
- minutes (administrative records) 1 ∧ less
- Bettle, Samuel 2
- Ely, Ruth 2
- Evans, William, 1787-1867 2
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- ) 2
- Rhoads, Hannah 2
- Scattergood, Joseph 2
- Cronk, Sandra Lee, -1942 1
- Dublin Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends) 1
- Friends General Conference (U.S.) 1
- London Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends) 1
- Loring, Patricia, 1936-2016) 1
- New England Yearly Meeting of Friends 1
- North Carolina Yearly Meeting of Friends (1698- ) 1
- Ohio Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1813-1828) 1
- Ohio Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1854) 1
- Pemberton, James, 1723-1809 1
- Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Rhode Island Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends) 1
- Wargny, Frank O. 1
- Webb, Eleanor Brooks, 1921-1997 1
- Webb, George N. (George Newton), 1920-1996 1
- Yearly Meeting of Friends, held in Virginia 1 ∧ less