Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview Richard Tapper Cadbury (1853-1929) was a Quaker businessman, teacher, writer, and art connoisseur. His mother's brother, Earl Shinn, Jr., (1838-1886) was a well-known art critic. The collection contains correspondence and memorabilia of the Cadbury, Comfort, Haines, and Shinn families. The letters give a detailed picture of life in Philadelphia Quaker families of the mid 19th century, and of the hardships of those who participated in the California gold rush.
Abstract Transatlantic correspondence between Mary Capper and the Cadbury family in Philadelphia. Letters concern family and spiritual matters. Correspondents include Joel and Caroline Cadbury, and their daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Cadbury.
- Art criticism -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- California -- Gold discoveries 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- England 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1 ∧ less
- Cadbury, Caroline, 1801-1868 1
- Cadbury, Elizabeth Head, 1768-1851 1
- Cadbury, Joel, 1799-1870 1
- Cadbury, Richard Tapper, 1853-1929 1
- Capper, Mary, 1795- 1