Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract Contains primarily correspondence from John Jackson to George and Catherine Truman. Letters are largely religious in content, with reflections on education and the death of his father. Also contains a copy of a letter to William B. Irish, an account of Priscilla Hunt's sermon, and extracts of a letter from Elias Hicks.
Overview Sarah (Sallie) Jones was a Bucks County Hicksite Quaker. She was the daughter of Amos and Margery Jones of Makefield Monthly Meeting and was educated at Ercildoun School in Kennett, PA. In 1859, she married William G. Cox of Goshen Monthly Meeting. This collection contains family correspondence and correspondence between Sarah Jones and her schoolmates at Ercildoun Boarding School. It also includes miscellaneous material such as a sermon by George Truman (1863) and teaching certificates for...
Abstract This collection includes correspondence received by Dr. George Truman and his nephew Joseph. Included are letters from Samuel Janney regarding publications in the Friends Intelligencer, letters from Anson Lapham regarding the establishment of the Friends Historical Library at Swarthmore College, and letters from Edward Merritt regarding the history of the Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians. Also included is a letter from Benjamin Hallowell regarding Ethan...
Overview The Truman and Underhill families were prominent Philadelphia-area Quaker families with close ties to Swarthmore College and active in social concerns. Best known is George Truman (1798-1877), Quaker merchant and doctor and a recognized minister who visited Indians in the American West and former Quaker settlements in the West Indies. He was one of the founders of Swarthmore College. This collection contains chiefly the papers of Benjamin Mott Underhill (1863-1930), with some Truman-Underhill...
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Hicksites -- 19th century 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Bucks County 1
- Sermons, American 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1 ∧ less
- Truman family 2
- Cadwallader, Priscilla, 1786-1859 1
- Cox, Sallie (Sarah Jones), 1837-1930 1
- Ercildoun Boarding School (East Fallowfield, Pa.) 1
- Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures 1
- Hallowell, Benjamin, 1799-1877 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hitchcock, Ethan Allen, 1798-1870 1
- Irish, William B. 1
- Jackson, John, 1809-1855 1
- Janney, Samuel M. (Samuel Mcpherson), 1801-1880 1
- Jones family 1
- Lapham, Anson, 1803(?)-1876 1
- Merritt, Edward, 1816(?)-1888 1
- Truman, Catherine 1
- Truman, Joseph M. (Joseph Moore), 1827-1902 1
- Underhill family 1
- Underhill, Benjamin Mott, 1863-1930 1 ∧ less