Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Overview Journal kept during Andrews's travels in England during the years 1755 and 1756. Entries describe his voyage from Philadelphia to Newcastle, including the weather, fellow passengers, and Quaker meetings held on board. Upon Andrews’s arrival in England, entries describe visits to fellow Quakers, Quaker meetings, and discussions of the state of the Society of Friends in England.
Overview Churchman frequently traveled throughout the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions, and thus many of his diary entries describe his travels to visit various meetings and Quaker families from Pennsylvania to as far north as Massachusetts. Entries describe meetings attended and families visited in the various towns and cities that Churchman traveled to, as well as family news, and marriages and deaths within the Quaker community.
Overview Cresson was a Quaker minister who was born in Philadelphia and later moved to Haddonfield, New Jersey. The majority of her diary entries detail visits from traveling Quaker ministers, funerals of community members, and descriptions of Quaker meetings, including testimonies given. Many entries are composed solely of prayers to God, or exclamations of Sarah’s religious conviction and her devotion to her God and the Quaker faith, while later entries tend to detail more earthly concerns,...
Overview Rowland Greene was a Quaker minister from Rhode Island. His diary entries focus largely on religious visits Greene made throughout New England, as well as Quaker meetings he attended, social calls, family news, deaths within the Quaker community, and passages of religious reflection.
Dates: 1830-1857, 1907
Overview William Jackson's diary of his religious visit to England and Ireland. Diary entries detail the preparations required to make the journey, as well as details about the voyage itself. Upon his arrival in Ireland, entries describe attendance at Quaker Meetings, visits with Friends, and descriptions of the various Friends who hosted Jackson during his time abroad.
Overview Journal of Robert Lindsey's trip to visit Friends in Iowa. Entries describe the journey, including descriptions of the weather, travel by horse and wagon over the prairies, the dangerous crossing of the frozen Mississippi River, the history of the Quakers in Iowa, Quaker Meetings attended, and visits to various Iowa Quaker families.
Overview Anne Moore was a Quaker minister from 1738 to 1783. Journal entries detail her travels as a Quaker minister to Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, parts of New England, and England. Entries also provide descriptions of Quaker meetings, visits from Friends, and Moore’s reflections on religion and advice for her children.
Overview Elizabeth Hudson Morris was a Quaker minister who traveled through the United States, Ireland, and Scotland. Diary entries describe Elizabeth’s travel as a Quaker minister throughout the British colonies in North America, as well as Ireland and Scotland, and Quaker meetings. Copied versions of letters from Jane Hoskins are also included in the volume.
Overview The collection contains personal papers, primarily correspondence, of members of the Richardson and Yarnall families, Pennsylvania Quakers who emigrated to America in the 1680s. The families were united by the marriage in 1816 of Nathaniel Richardson and Hannah Yarnall of Byberry. Of special significance are the diaries of Quaker ministers Peter Yarnall (1754-1798) and his second wife, Hannah Haines Thornton Yarnall (1765-1822) and their correspondence with family and fellow ministers. The...
Dates: 1722 - 1962
Overview William Savery's diaries. The majority of the first volume concerns the Treaty at Canandaigua, and the remaining volumes are accounts of religious visits Savery made throughout Europe. Entries generally describe details of travel between destinations, Quaker meetings attended, Quaker families visited, and descriptions of each location's culture, food, language, style of dress, and form of local government.
- Subject: Society of Friends -- Clergy -- Diaries X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 10
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- diaries 10
- Quakers -- Diaries 9
- travel literature 7
- Quakers -- History 5
- Quaker women -- United States 3
- Quakers -- Travel 3
- Women clergy -- United States -- Diaries 3
- England 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Byberry (Philadelphia, Pa.) 1
- Europe 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Iowa 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- Quaker Physicians 1
- Quaker women 1
- Quakers -- Ireland 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Bucks County -- History -- Sources 1
- Quakers -- United States -- Diaries 1
- Rhode Island 1
- Six Nations -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Clergy -- History -- 19th century -- Sources 1
- Society of Friends -- Education -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Women -- Mental health -- United States -- History 1
- Women -- Religious life 1
- Women -- Religious life -- Diaries 1
- Women and religion 1
- Women travelers 1 ∧ less
- Andrews, Peter 1
- Bacon, David 1
- Churchman, George, 1730-1814 1
- Cresson, Sarah 1
- Greene, Rowland 1
- Jackson, William 1
- Lindsey, Robert 1
- Moore, Anne, active 1756-1786 1
- Morris, Elizabeth Hudson 1
- Parrish, John, 1729-1807 1
- Richardson family 1
- Richardson, Elizabeth C., 1863-1947 1
- Richardson, Elliott, 1842-1887 1
- Richardson, Elliott, 1881-1964 1
- Richardson, Hannah Yarnall, 1797-1876 1
- Richardson, Mordecai, 1784-1808 1
- Richardson, Nathaniel, 1793-1872 1
- Richardson, Nathaniel, 1839-1920 1
- Savery, William, 1750-1804 1
- Scattergood, Thomas, 1748-1814 1
- Webb, Elizabeth 1
- Yarnall, Hannah, 1765-1822 1
- Yarnall, Mordecai, 1705-1772 1
- Yarnall, Peter, 1754-1798 1
- Yarnall, Rebecca, 1786-1859 1
- Yarnell family 1 ∧ less