Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Abstract This collection includes letters from Thomas Wetherald written to his family while he traveled in the ministry. Some of his letters concern Elias Hicks and the Hicksite controversy. Also included is a sermon of Thomas Wetherald.
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) 1
- Wetherald, Thomas 1
- Willis, Thomas, 1770 or 1771-1864 1