Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
abstract This collection spans more than two centuries and includes most notably members of the Allinson and Taylor families. There are also letters from Joseph Bonaparte, Sarah Moore Grimke, Julia Ward Howe and George Washington. Prominent material types include correspondence, diaries, financial, legal and property papers, maps, photographs and poetry. The richest subject veins are anti-slavery, including the Free Produce Association of Friends, the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia and settlement...
Dates: 1710 - 1939
Overview The Allinson family scrapbook is largely comprised of clippings on poetry, temperance, prison reform, reform for juvenile delinquents, and anti-slavery. Many of the anti-slavery clippings discuss the possibility of using Jamaica as a "home for colored emigrants." The end of the volume includes 12 pages of signatures. The volume also includes an obituary for Samuel Allinson.
Overview The diaries span the majority of Baily's adult life. As a young man, Baily was very involved in the Philadelphia community, and many of his early entries are related to the Philadelphia Historical Society, the Eromathean society, the Pennsylvania Prison Society, which advocated for the health and safety of prisoner and prison reform, The Philadelphia Society for Employment and Instruction of the Poor, and the Moyamensing House of Industry. In later entries, Baily is largely concerned with...
Overview This collection contains materials from Eli and Sybil Jones, as well as Susan Taber Jones, James Parnell Jones, Virginia Costello Jones, and other materials related to the work and ministry of Eli and Sybil Jones.
Abstract The papers of Joshua Longstreth Baily (1826-1916), a Philadelphia Quaker merchant, include his correspondence, speeches, notebooks and articles on topics relating to peace, penal reform, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and contributions to African American causes.
Dates: 1818 - 1917
Overview Twenty-two scrapbooks of correspondence (circa 2,000 letters) of Josiah Woodward Leeds (1841-1908) with persons involved in the social reform movements of the late 19th century as well as tracts and clippings of articles and editorials written by Leeds and articles on topics of interest to him.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of two volumes of minutes, one of which contains minutes from San Jose Monthly and Preparative Meetings, and one which contains minutes from San Jose Monthly Meeting. The latter also contains a brief description of the beginnings of worship in San Jose. The minutes contain business notes, as well as committee reports, responses to annual state of the meeting queries, membership decisions, and financial reports.
Scope and Contents This collection contains typed research notes by an unknown person. Previously they were referred to as extracts, however they are not formal printed extracts. The notes are from Yearly and Monthly Meetings, including Baltimore Yearly Meeting, Indiana Yearly Meeting, and Ohio Yearly Meeting. Many of the notes either are categorized by topic, or include topical indices.
Overview The volume of minutes records activities of the Young Women's Christian Temperance Union of Philadelphia-Germantown, particulary their work with Boys' Parlours.
- Temperance 8
- Antislavery movements -- United States 3
- Quakers 3
- diaries 3
- Education 2
- Prison reformers 2
- Prisons -- United States 2
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- letters (correspondence) 2
- scrapbooks 2
- Abolitionists -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Capital punishment 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Juvenile delinquency -- United States -- History 1
- Lebanon 1
- Maine 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Peace 1
- Poetry 1
- Prisons -- Missions and charities -- United States 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Social reformers 1
- Society of Friends 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Temperance -- Pennsylvania -- Societies, etc. 1
- West (U.S.) 1
- Women clergy -- United States -- Diaries 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- commonplace books 1
- financial records 1
- minutes (administrative records) 1
- notebooks 1 ∧ less
- Allinson family 2
- Baily, Joshua L. (Joshua Longstreth), 1826-1916 2
- Allinson, Margaret 1
- Allinson, Samuel, 1739-1791 1
- Allinson, Samuel, 1808-1883 1
- Allinson, William J., 1810-1874 1
- Baily, Theodate Lang 1
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Bean, Joel, 1825-1914 1
- Burlington Company Association 1
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox: 1828- ) 1
- Iowa Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends 1
- Jones family 1
- Jones, Eli 1
- Jones, James Parnell 1
- Jones, Susan Taber 1
- Jones, Sybil 1
- Jones, Virginia Costello 1
- Kansas Freedmen's Relief Association 1
- Leeds, Josiah W. (Josiah Woodward) 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Philadelphia Free Produce Association of Friends 1
- Philadelphia Society for the Employment and Instruction of the Poor 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- San Jose Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1873-1885 : San Jose, Calif.) 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1 ∧ less