Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Scope and Content note This collection is composed of six volumes of William C. Allen's religious visits around the world from the 1904-1937. Three volumes of the collection were handwritten, and the remaining three were typed by Allen. While the diaries in this collection cover a wide range of topics, entries generally describe the customs, manners, language, transportation, food, and religious beliefs in each location Allen visited. In addition, Allen describes Quaker meetings he lead, and religious and political...
Scope and Content note This collection includes photographs from WWI Europe. Photographs include those taken on the ship to Europe, at a hospital in France, and at a number of battlefields throughout Europe. This volume includes graphic images of war casualties.
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries and photographs relating to the 20th-century Quakers Edith Farquhar Bacon and Francis Rogers Bacon, their families, forebears, friends and colleagues.
Scope and Contents note This collection includes 43 original, bound, handwritten volumes of Joshua Baily’s personal diaries, spanning the majority of his adult life. Baily began keeping diaries at the age of nineteen and continued to write daily entries throughout his life, though diaries for the years 1857-1878 are missing. As a young man, Baily was very involved in the Philadelphia community, and many of his early entries describe his attendance at both religious and secular lectures, and his attendance at...
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of the single volume scrapbook of Samuel J. Bunting. The volume includes Quaker meeting minutes, sheet music, clippings related to the Society of Friends, poetry, printed religious illustrations of Quakers, materials related to the Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, clippings related to history of Quakers in Philadelphia, pamphlets on Thomas Jefferson, pamphlets on the history of Philadelphia, and articles on WWI from "The Christian Century."
Overview The collection is concentrated on the period of 19th to early 20th century and includes the correspondence, diaries, genealogies, wills, deeds and scrapbooks of the Quaker Chase, Cromwell and Underhill families.
Scope and Content note This collection is composed of 64 volumes of the bound, handwritten diaries of Jacob R. Elfreth, Jr. Early diaries, from 1861-1867, focus on military movement and battles during the Civil War, reactions to President Lincoln's assassination, and the political tensions during the aftermath of the war. The majority of entries detail day-to day activities; family news, news of Elfreth's carpet business, attendance at Quaker meetings, social calls, accounts of weather, and births,...
Overview This is the story of multiple generations of the Elkinton and Waring families, but concentrated on two generations: that of Howard West Elkinton (1892-1955) and his wife, Katharine Wistar Mason Elkinton (1892/3-1961) and their daughter, Theodora Elkinton (1927- ) who married Thomas Waring (1921-2001). It is a story of life choices made by these Quakers: for Howard and Katharine Elkinton, to serve under the American Friends Service Committee in Europe after World War I and during World War II...
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of three folders of the papers of Joseph H. Haines. The collection includes primarily letters of Joseph Haines to his father, William H. Haines, dated 1917-1921, reporting on conditions in France during World War I and giving detailed accounts of a day's activities for Haines working for the Reconstruction Unit of the American Friends Service Committee, including building and repairing houses and schools, assisting local people, and altogether offering a picture of...
- American Friends Service Committee 4
- Allen, William Charles, 1857-1938 1
- American Chamber of Commerce in France 1
- Babbitt, James A. 1
- Bacon, Edith Farquhar, 1892-1988 1
- Bacon, Francis R. (Francis Rogers), 1888-1965 1
- Bacon, Samuel Allen, 1848-1908 1
- Baily, Joshua L. (Joshua Longstreth), 1826-1916 1
- Baily, Theodate Lang 1
- Bowery Savings Bank of New York 1
- Bunting, Samuel J., 1862-1946 1
- Chase family 1
- Chase, Alice Cromwell, 1837-1882 1
- Chase, Thomas 1
- Civilian Public Service 1
- Cromwell family 1
- Cromwell, Caroline Anne 1
- Cromwell, James W. 1
- Cromwell, Lincoln 1
- Cromwell, William 1
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. 1
- Elfreth, Jacob R. Jr., 1837-1924 1
- Elkington, Peter W. 1
- Elkinton family 1
- Elkinton, Howard W. (Howard West) 1
- Elkinton, Katharine Wistar, 1892-1961 1
- Field Artillery School (Fort Sill, Okla.) 1
- Fort George G. Meade (Md.) 1
- Fort Riley (Kan.) 1
- Friends Girls School (Ramallah, Palestine) 1
- Friends of Ramallah Friends Meeting (Quakers) 1
- Haines, Joseph H. 1
- Haines, William Henry 1
- Harvard University 1
- Haverford College 1
- Horold, Walter 1
- Jones, Alice Whittier 1
- Kamp, Esther Farquhar, 1895-1994 1
- Kissel, Eleanora 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Lowry, Alfred, 1888-1935 1
- Lowry, Grace Scattergood, 1891-1964 1
- Nicholson family 1
- Nicholson, Herbert V. (Herbert Victor) 1
- Nitobe, Inazō, 1862-1933 1
- Old Fort Niagara (N.Y.) 1
- Taylor, Frank Hendrickson, 1855-1934 1
- Taylor, Gertrude Christine de Brie, b. 1897 1
- Taylor, Rebecca Nicholson, 1857-1944 1
- Taylor, William Nicholson, 1882-1945 1
- Underhill family 1
- United States. Army. Reserve Officers' Training Corps 1
- Waring, Bernard Gilpin 1
- Waring, Theodora Elkinton 1
- Waring, Thomas 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1
- École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts (France) 1 ∧ less