Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Edward W. Evans (1882-1976) was a Quaker leader and lawyer active in the educational and peace concerns of the Society of Friends. The collection primarily contains papers compiled by Edward W. Evans during his time as Secretary of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox), from 1938-1946. Of particular interest are the materials concerning Civilian Public Service. The collection is significant in its documentation of pacifist attitudes and the ways in which the Society of Friends was active...
Overview The Friends Ambulance Unit was a volunteer ambulance service that operated during both World Wars as well as for a period after WWII (1946-1959). It was founded by a group of British Quakers and most of the volunteers were registered conscientious objectors. This collection contains loose black and white photos (now in sleeves) of the Friends Ambulance Unit in Syria and France. Some of the photos in this collection ran in Harper's Bazaar.
Dates: 1941 - 1943
Overview The Workroom, a project of the 15th Street and 20th Street New York Monthly Meetings, was established in 1940 by the Joint Peace and Service Committee of the New York Monthly Meetings. The sewing room produced garments for needy children during World War II. This collection contains one photo album, two packets of snapshots, and one folder of sixteen loose photographs. The photo album documents the Workroom activities as well as international photos of recipients of garments, with descriptions....
Dates: 1940 - 1976
Abstract Collection contains primarily Marvel's files on the wartime projects of the Quaker Emergency Service, 1942-1945, and its postwar Civilian Readjustment Committee, including typed minutes, 1947-1961. Also includes papers concerning the Spears Mobile Clinic which operated in Syria with the help of the Friends Ambulance Unit, including a typescript describing the mission; the dispersal of French funds, 1954-1958, raised by Mme. de la Noue for her Centre Guynemer and deposited with the Quaker...
Overview During World War II, Swarthmore College offered relief and reconstruction training programs, initially at the graduate level for men in the Civilian Public Service (CPS), and later as an undergraduate major. This collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, syllabi, reports, and other documents relating to Civilian Foreign Service (CFS) training programs at colleges and universities, particularly the CFS program at Swarthmore. The collection was compiled by J. Roland Pennock, a...
Overview Elizabeth Biddle Yarnall and her husband, D. Robert Yarnall, were Quakers, active in the American Friends Service Committee relief efforts. They worked with the Quaker center in Vienna, Austria, during the summer of 1938 to help in the emigration of German and Austrian Jews. The collection contains correspondence concerning their work with refugees and letters from refugees asking for assistance, especially the musician and composers Karl Weigl and his wife, Vally, who emigrated in October...
- American Friends Service Committee 2
- Friends Ambulance Unit 2
- American Friends Service Committee. Refugee Section 1
- Civilian Public Service 1
- Evans, Edward W. (Edward Wyatt), 1882-1976 1
- Fellowship of Reconciliation (U.S.) 1
- Fisher, Dorothy Canfield, 1879-1958 1
- Five Years Meeting (Society of Friends: U.S.) 1
- French, Paul Comly, 1903-1960 1
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (U.S.) 1
- Furnas, Paul J. 1
- Marvel, Josiah P. (Josiah Philip), 1896-1959 1
- Monthly Meeting of New York (Society of Friends : Orthodox : New York, N.Y.). Peace and Service Committee 1
- New York Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1957 : New York, N.Y.). Peace and Service Committee 1
- New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. New York Quarterly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Workroom Committee 1
- Pennock, J. Roland (James Roland), 1906-1995 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955) 1
- Pickett, Clarence, 1884-1965 1
- Quaker Emergency Service Readjustment Center (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Spears Mobile Clinics 1
- Swarthmore College 1
- Weigl, Karl, 1881-1949 1
- Weigl, Vally 1
- World Alliance for International Friendship through Religion 1
- World Council of Churches 1
- Yarnall, D. Robert (David Robert), 1878-1967 1
- Yarnall, Elizabeth Biddle, 1897-1975 1 ∧ less