Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 25
Overview Churchman frequently traveled throughout the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions, and thus many of his diary entries describe his travels to visit various meetings and Quaker families from Pennsylvania to as far north as Massachusetts. Entries describe meetings attended and families visited in the various towns and cities that Churchman traveled to, as well as family news, and marriages and deaths within the Quaker community.
Overview Joseph Elkinton's journal entries describe his 1816 trip from Philadelphia to a Quaker missionary settlement and school called "Tunessassa," among the Seneca in upstate New York. His entries describe the preparation for the trip and his travel from Philadelphia to Tunessassa. The location of the original journal is unknown.
Overview Diary entries record Samuel Emlen Jr.'s journey into Maryland, and describes visits with Friends there, as well as social calls with friends and family, and Quaker meetings.
Dates: 1794-1818; Majority of material found within 1817-1818
Overview Diary of Samuel Gummere's 1854 trip to England. Early entries describe the ten day voyage by steamship, including descriptions of passengers, accommodations on board, and sea sickness. Later entries describe Gummere's exploration of England, including visits to Liverpool and London.
Overview William Hodgson Jr. was a Quaker minister. His diary entries describe the voyage from Liverpool, England, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, including descriptions of the weather, books Hodgson read while on board, and the Captain and other passengers. Later entries related to Hodgson's time in Philadelphia describe the terrain, his attendance at the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and other Quaker Meetings, visits to schools in Philadelphia, and discussions of the Hicksite separation.
Overview This collection is comprised of three volumes of the travel journals of Margaret Jenkins. The first volume describes Jenkins's voyage from New York to San Francisco, and her voyage home from San Francisco to New York via Liverpool. The remaining two volumes describe Margaret Jenkins's trip to the Himalayan Mountains in 1911 and 1912, to visit her cousin, who was a missionary there.
Overview The commonplace book of Mary Kite includes extracts from her diary, correspondence, and an account of a religious visit to North Carolina. Diary entries concern family news, as well as Kite's attendance at Quaker meetings and social events.
Overview Journal of Robert Lindsey's trip to visit Friends in Iowa. Entries describe the journey, including descriptions of the weather, travel by horse and wagon over the prairies, the dangerous crossing of the frozen Mississippi River, the history of the Quakers in Iowa, Quaker Meetings attended, and visits to various Iowa Quaker families.
Overview John Pemberton was a Quaker minister who was involved in Native American issues. The first volume describes Pemberton's visit to England from 1750 to 1754, the second volume is composed of daily entries dated from 1778. The majority of entries in both volumes describe Quaker meetings attended and social visits with Friends and family.
Overview This manuscript provides a brief biographical sketch of John Pemberton, and contains excerpts from his journals and letters from his religious visit in England in 1750.
- Quakers -- Diaries 20
- travel literature 20
- Seneca Indians 4
- Quaker women 3
- England 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Society of Friends -- Clergy -- Diaries 2
- Women and religion 2
- Women clergy -- United States -- Diaries 2
- letters (correspondence) 2
- African Americans 1
- Americans -- Travel -- England -- History -- 19th century 1
- Europe -- Description and travel 1
- France 1
- India 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Iowa 1
- Middle East -- Description and travel 1
- Motherhood -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- New York (State) 1
- Peace 1
- Pennsylvania 1
- Quaker missionaries 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Family relationships 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Rhode Island 1
- Six Nations -- History 1
- Slavery and the church -- Society of Friends 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Tourism -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Tourism -- History 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women travelers 1
- World politics 1
- commonplace books 1 ∧ less
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 2
- Pemberton, John, 1727-1795 2
- Simmons, Henry 2
- Churchman, George, 1730-1814 1
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1794-1868 1
- Emlen, Samuel 1
- Gummere, Samuel James 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hodgson, William 1
- Jenkins, Margaret 1
- Kite, Mary, 1793?-1861 1
- Lindsey, Robert 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Robson, Walter 1
- Routh, Martha Winter, 1743-1817 1
- Scattergood, Rebecca 1
- Scattergood, Thomas, 1748-1814 1
- Seebohm, Benjamin 1
- Selleck, George A. 1
- Sharpless, Henry Hale G. 1
- Sharpless, Joshua 1
- Shipley, Ann 1
- Shoemaker, John 1
- Stephenson, Isaac 1
- Swayne, Joel 1
- Walton, Joseph 1
- Warder, Ann Head 1
- Whitall, John Siddons 1
- Woolman, John, 1720-1772 1 ∧ less