Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview Joseph Elkinton's journal entries describe his 1816 trip from Philadelphia to a Quaker missionary settlement and school called "Tunessassa," among the Seneca in upstate New York. His entries describe the preparation for the trip and his travel from Philadelphia to Tunessassa. The location of the original journal is unknown.
Abstract Theodore Hetzel (1906-1990) was a Quaker professor of engineering at Haverford College in Haverford, Pennsylvania, whose interests led him to involvement with Native American and Quaker issues. An avid photographer, the materials in this collection are primarily photographic, as well as correspondence and documents.
Dates: 1866-1987; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1987
Overview Journal entries describe Pugh's travel from St. Louis, Missouri, to Lawrence, Kansas, Quaker meetings attended, meetings with "Indian agents" and officials, and visits to tribes and make payments.
Overview Entries describe Sharpless's travel to, and time spent in, Cornplanter's village during 1798.
Dates: 1798, 1965
Overview Henry Simmons was a Quaker missionary to the Seneca Nation and a member Middletown Monthly Meeting. Henry Simmons's journals are related to time Simmons spent with the Oneida and Seneca tribes.
Overview Joel Swayne's diary entries describe his journey to the Seneca nation and the two years he spent there. Swayne provides detailed descriptions of the chief, “Cornplanter,” the chief’s family, the village and villagers, cultural differences between the Quakers and the Senecas, the difficulty of the language barrier, and discussions between Quaker missionaries and Seneca members.
Overview Joseph Walton's diary entries focus on his various religious visits in the United States, and include details about his travel, attendance at meetings, descriptions of the communities he visited, discussions concerning the status of free African Americans, and issues surrounding voting, as well as descriptions of his time among Seneca and Onondaga reservations in New York.
Overview Thomas Wistar's journal entries largely describe his work as an Indian Commissioner, including visits to Washington D.C. and various trips to Native American Reservations and Indian Agencies, including the Seneca Nation and the Wichita Indian Agency. In addition to his work as a commissioner, entries detail social calls with family and friends, descriptions of Quaker meetings, and religious reflection and prayers.
- Quakers -- Diaries 6
- Quakers -- History 6
- Quakers -- Travel 4
- travel literature 4
- Indians of North America 3
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 3
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 3
- Indians of North America -- Missions 2
- Kickapoo Indians -- History 2
- Osage Indians -- History 2
- African Americans 1
- Cherokee Indians 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Indians of North America -- Oklahoma 1
- Kinzua Dam (Pa.) 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- New York (State) 1
- Pennsylvania 1
- Quaker church buildings 1
- Quaker missionaries 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- Shawnee Indians -- History 1
- Six Nations -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions 1
- correspondence 1
- family papers 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1
- photographs 1 ∧ less
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 3
- Simmons, Henry 3
- Sharpless, Joshua 2
- American Friends Service Committee 1
- Associated Committee of Friends on Indian Affairs 1
- Borton, Hugh 1
- Coleman, John Royston 1
- Deer, Ada Elizabeth 1
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1794-1868 1
- Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 1
- Haverford College 1
- Hetzel, Theodore Brinton, 1906-1990 1
- Jackson, Halliday, 1771-1835 1
- Janschka, Fritz 1
- McGovern, George S. (George Stanley), 1922- 1
- Morgan, Arthur E. (Arthur Ernest), 1878-1975 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Indian Committee 1
- Pugh, Achilles 1
- Rustin, Bayard, 1912-1987 1
- Society of Friends 1
- Swayne, Joel 1
- Taylor, Walter 1
- Walton, Joseph 1
- White, Gilbert F. 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1 ∧ less