Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract This collection contains the correspondence of the Alsop and Brown families, particularly Othniel Alsop, Hannah Brown Alsop, and Othneil's English siblings, Ann and Robert Alsop. Other correspondents include Alice Jackson, Mary Coffin, and Ann Douglas. Also included are Othniel's naturalization documents, various wills, and calling cards from friends. Of particular interest is a letter dated 1799 from Othniel Alsop to sister in England, describing the "contagious fever" (yellow fever), a letter...
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of the small, single, handwritten volume of the Brown family history. The volume traces the Brown family back to Thomas and Eleanor Brown of West Nottingham, and traces the descendants of this couple through the eighteenth century. The inside of the back cover is inscribed with the name M. Mendenhall, and dated 8th mo 1833.
Overview Correspondence, legal, land and estate papers (wills, powers of attorney, deeds, mortgages, bonds, etc.), account book, ms. book, and other papers of the Quaker Brown family of Philadelphia and New Hampshire.
Abstract 19th-century papers of the interrelated Cadbury and Brown Quaker families.
Identifier: HC.MC-1177-addition 1
Overview This addition consists of over 240 letters between Caroline Cadbury (1851-1914) and Thomas Kite Brown (1851-1929) during their engagement. There are also letters between Caroline's parents Richard Cadbury (1825-1897) and Lydia Comfort Shinn (1828-1904) during their own engagement, as well as later letters from Caroline to her family.
Identifier: HC.MC-1177-addition 2
Overview Much of this addition is comprised of letters from Caroline Cadbury Brown (1851-1914) to her parents, husband, and children. Additionally, there are letters from her mother, Lydia Comfort Shinn Cadbury (1828-1904), her husband Thomas Kite Brown (1851-1929), and all six of their surviving children.
Collection — Container: Box 1
Overview The collection consists of correspondence and other papers of the Virginia Quaker family of Asa M. Janney. The letters contain family news and note Quaker concerns and activities. Of special interest are letters from Asa's older brother, Samuel M. Janney, noted Quaker minister, author and abolitionist. Also included are an account book of Janney's Forest Mills flour mill, 1860-1862; a Swarthmore College student notebook kept by his grandson, Thomas Janney Brown; and a notebook of genealogy...
Dates: 1831 - 1950
Overview The Quaker families of Jones and Cadbury were interrelated with many other Quaker families in the United States and England. This collection provides a rich source of genealogical and historical information, not only on the Jones and Cadbury families, and especially Mary Hoxie Jones (1904-2003) and Emma Cadbury Jr. (1875-1965), but also, significantly, on the Warder family, as well as the Bartram, Brown, Carter, Foulke, Kaighn, Lowry, Mennell, Pearsall, Shinn, and Shipley families.
Dates: ca. 1770-1994
- Names: Brown family X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 6
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 3
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 4
- Quakers -- Family relationships 3
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- correspondence 2
- African Americans -- England 1
- American poetry -- Quaker authors 1
- Austria -- History -- 1918-1938 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Christianity 1
- Cremation 1
- Land titles 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Prison reform -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- England 1
- Quakers -- Great Britain 1
- Quakers -- History 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Virginia 1
- Quakers -- Virginia -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Virginia -- Loudoun County 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- England 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 17th century 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 18th century 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 19th century 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- 20th century 1
- Society of Friends -- Social life and customs 1
- Society of Friends -- United States 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Quakers 1
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Swarthmore 1
- Women -- Diaries 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Civilian relief -- France 1
- Yellow fever -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 1
- account books 1
- deeds 1
- genealogies (histories) 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1 ∧ less