Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract Papers of the 19th-century, interrelated Cadbury and Brown Quaker families.
Identifier: HC.MC-1177-addition 1
Overview This addition consists of over 240 letters between Caroline Cadbury (1851-1914) and Thomas Kite Brown (1851-1929) during their engagement. There are also letters between Caroline's parents Richard Cadbury (1825-1897) and Lydia Comfort Shinn (1828-1904) during their own engagement, as well as later letters from Caroline to her family.
Identifier: HC.MC-1177-addition 2
Overview Much of this addition is comprised of letters from Caroline Cadbury Brown (1851-1914) to her parents, husband, and children. Additionally, there are letters from her mother, Lydia Comfort Shinn Cadbury (1828-1904), her husband Thomas Kite Brown (1851-1929), and all of their six surviving children.
Scope and Contents This collection of materials by and about Henry Cadbury (1883-1974) contains information about his extended family, including the Cadbury, Head, Kaign, Shinn, Warder families consisting of charts and notes. Biographically, there is information on his academic degrees and awards and miscellaneous materials, such as his passports, his certificate of identity as Relief Commissioner for the American Friends Service Committee, ca. 1920, and biographical sketches of him as well as memorial minutes at...
Overview Richard Tapper Cadbury (1853-1929) was a Quaker businessman, teacher, writer, and art connoisseur. His mother's brother, Earl Shinn, Jr., (1838-1886) was a well-known art critic. The collection contains correspondence and memorabilia of the Cadbury, Comfort, Haines, and Shinn families. The letters give a detailed picture of life in Philadelphia Quaker families of the mid 19th century, and of the hardships of those who participated in the California gold rush.
Overview The principal creators in the collection are Quakers William Warder Cadbury (1877-1959) and Catharine Jones Cadbury (1884-1970) who spent most of their lives in China. William Warder Cadbury came to China as a medical missionary in 1909.
Abstract Transatlantic correspondence between Mary Capper and the Cadbury family in Philadelphia. Letters concern family and spiritual matters. Correspondents include Joel and Caroline Cadbury, and their daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Cadbury.
Abstract The Quaker families of Jones and Cadbury were interrelated with many other Quaker families in America and England. This collection provides a rich source of genealogical and historical information, not only on the families Jones and Cadbury, and especially Mary Hoxie Jones (1904-2003) and Emma Cadbury Jr. (1875-1965), but also, significantly, Warder family, as well as Bartram, Brown, Carter, Foulke, Kaighn, Lowry, Mennell, Pearsall, Shinn and Shipley family materials.
Dates: ca. 1770-1994
Overview The Mary Hoxie Jones collection includes genealogy and history materials on the Jones and Cadbury families, photo albums and scrapbooks of travel by Mary Hoxie Jones, and personal correspondence and poetry.
- Names: Cadbury family X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 7
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 2
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- correspondence 2
- photographs 2
- American poetry -- Quaker authors 1
- Art criticism -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Austria -- History -- 1918-1938 1
- Bible. Acts 1
- California -- Gold discoveries 1
- China -- Foreign relations -- Soviet Union 1
- China -- History -- 20th Century 1
- China -- Politics and Government -- 1949- 1
- Courtship -- Religious aspects -- Christianity 1
- Food relief -- Germany 1
- Leprosy -- China 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Medicine -- China 1
- Missionaries -- China 1
- Missionaries, Medical -- China 1
- Missions -- China 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Quaker physicians -- China 1
- Quakers -- China 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- England 1
- Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945 1
- Society of Friends -- Jamaica 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions -- China 1
- Society of Friends -- Social life and customs 1
- Society of Friends -- War relief and reconstruction 1
- Society of Friends -- West Indies 1
- Soviet Union -- Foreign relations -- China 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Women travelers 1
- diaries 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- maps (documents) 1
- posters 1
- speeches (documents) 1 ∧ less