Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract The collections contain journals, correspondence, and miscellaneous Quaker papers. A small journal kept by Thomas Carman, 1864 and 1867, describes his travels which included upstate New York, Baltimore, and Richmond (where he attended general Quaker meetings and visited African American services). Also a photocopy of a journal kept by Catharine Williams, describing a trip to Iowa in 1864 where she attended Yearly Meeting. Correspondents include Benjamin Angell, Edward Dorland, George M. Sisson,...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1786-1894
Abstract The collection includes biographical information and correspondence relating to the final illness of Percy E. Clapp and disposition of his estate; correspondence, 1916-1919, concerning the establishment of Cornell Executive Meeting which became Ithaca Monthly Meeting in 1938; Clapp's notebook on family research; and miscellaneous correspondence about New York Yearly Meeting records.
Overview Joseph Hoag (1762-1846) was a New York and Vermont Quaker minister who regarded himself as a traditional Friend, opposing both Elias Hicks and Joseph Gurney. He is best known for his "Vision" of 1803 which predicted an American Civil War, and his Journal, the publication of which in 1860 precipitated a schism at Scipio Monthly Meeting into Otisite and Kingite groups. His wife, Huldah Hoag (1762-1850), was also a Quaker minister, as were many of his ten children. The collection contains the...
Abstract The collection contains correspondence received by Samuel Parsons of New York Monthly Meeting. Correspondents include William and Hannah Jackson, ministers of New Garden Monthly Meeting, Pa.; London Friends writing to James Mott, Parsons, and Richard R. Lawrence in response to their report of Friends' activities with native Americans; Samuel Bettle of Philadelphia concerning the Separation, offering advice for New York Yearly Meeting; Daniel Comstock describing the program of study at the...
Scope and Contents Records of the Yearly Meeting on Ministry and Counsel, its Coordinating Committee, the Meeting of Ministry and Counsel, its Executive Committee, and its Orthodox and Hicksite predecessors, the Meetings of Ministers and Elders of New York Yearly Meeting.
Scope and Contents Minutes of New York Yearly Meetings, the Representative Committee and its Orthodox and Hicksite predecessors, the Meetings for Sufferings, 1758-1971.
Records of Trustees of New York Yearly Meeting, Other Financial and Property Records, and General Services of New York Yearly Meeting
Scope and Contents Records of the Trustees of New York Yearly Meeting, other financial and property records, and general services and administrative records, 1672-ongoing.
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
Abstract The collection contains correspondence concerning Quaker organizations, obituary and memorial notices, and papers which reflect Carolena Wood's participation in Quaker organizations. A letter from John Nicholson describes Friends work with the Seneca Indians, 1900.
Dates: Majority of material found within ca. 1900-1909
- Names: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) X
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 6
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 3
- Quakers -- New York (State) 4
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 3
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 3
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey 3
- Society of Friends -- New York (State) 3
- Society of Friends -- Vermont 3
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 2
- Church work with African Americans -- Society of Friends 1
- Freedmen -- United States -- Social conditions 1
- International relief -- Societies, etc 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Poor -- Services for -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quaker women -- New York (State) -- Mount Kisco 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- Relations with Indians -- 20th century 1
- Quakers -- Social service 1
- Quakers -- Vermont 1
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Visions 1
- diaries 1 ∧ less