Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Overview Jane W. T. Brey (Jane Watson Taylor Brey, 1895-1982) was a genealogist. This collection chiefly contains photoprints of deeds, wills, marriage certificates and genealogical charts and pictures, relating to the Taylor, Wildman, and Watson families, Quakers of Bucks County, Pa.
Scope and Contents These papers consist of materials collected by Carroll T. Sinclair for a book on Friends' Meetings in Maryland, unfinished because of his death. They include notebooks of extracts from the minutes of Monthly and Quarterly Meetings (photocopies, with manuscript notes); a notebook containing a photocopy of a book by Levi K. Brown, An Account of the Meetings... within the Limits of Baltimore Yearly Meeting (Phil., 1875); a notebook of photostats of extracts from...
Dates: Circa 1962-1964
Overview This collection contains materials belonging to the Taylor family.
Overview This collection traces several generations of the Quaker Taylor family, but centers on Francis R. Taylor (1884-1947) and George Washington Taylor (1803-1891). The former was an attorney and collector of information about his own and related families as well as local historical information. The latter who ran a free produce store in Philadelphia in the period before the American Civil War was connected through his interests in free labor to many correspondents.
Scope and Contents These papers give a picture of the social, business, religious, and emotional relationships of two closely connected Quaker families, the Taylors and the Shoemakers, beginning in Burlington, N.J., and Philadelphia in the early 19th Century and extending westward, as Abraham Merritt Taylor (1799-1873) went to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1825, founded a tanning business there, and eventually brought his friend Isaac Shoemaker and his brothers, Dr. Joseph W. Taylor and Jacob M. Taylor, to Cincinnati and...
Dates: 1755 - 1930
Overview Florence E. Taylor was the descendant of a Quaker family whose roots went back to the settlement of Pennsylvania. Her parents were Frederick W. Taylor (1848-1919) and Emily Hunt Taylor (d. 1942). Fred Taylor, a wealthy Philadelphia businessman and philanthropist to the Society of Friends, was the son of Charles Maus Taylor and Anna E. W. Sterling Taylor. His grandfather was Israel Taylor (1782-1850). The collection includes correspondence of Israel Taylor (1782-1850) and Charles M. Taylor...
Overview The Taylors and Thomsons were Quakers from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, who married into the Knight, Clothier, and Shoemaker families. This collection includes correspondence, copybooks and albums, account books, family photographs, and miscellaneous clippings. Of particular interest is a large collection of deeds and some late 19th and early 20th century travel diaries.
Overview This collection consists of 5 photograph albums, dating from approximately 1860-1895, from Mary Sullivan Patterson, a Quaker historian and genealogist. The collection contains mostly of family member portaits.
Dates: 1860 - 1929
Scope and Contents note The Updegraff Family Papers are composed primarily of letters in addition to a variety of other materials including financial documents and journals. David Benjamin Updegraff’s materials span from 1802 to 1840 and include letters, an account book, and a journal. Many of these letters were exchanges between David and his wife, Rebecca. Rebecca Taylor Updegraff’s materials span from 1815 to 1865 and include letters written to Rebbeca in addition to a personal journal. These documents reflect the...
Dates: 1810-1929; Majority of material found within 1810 - 1896
- Names: Taylor family X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 5
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 4
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 3
- Antislavery movements -- United States 2
- Pennsylvania -- History -- Sources 2
- genealogies (histories) 2
- Abolitionists -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Agriculture -- United States 1
- Antislavery movements -- History 1
- Baptists 1
- Bucks County (Pa.) -- Genealogy 1
- Bucks County (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Copybooks 1
- Deeds -- Pennyslvania -- Montgomery County 1
- Diaries -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Genealogists -- United States 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Ohio -- Description and travel 1
- Pennsylvania -- Genealogy 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Quaker businesspeople 1
- Quaker church buildings -- Pictorial works 1
- Quaker women -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Family relationships 1
- Quakers -- Ohio 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Portraits 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers in business 1
- Shoemaker family 1
- Slave labor 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- albums (books) 1
- correspondence 1 ∧ less