Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 15
Scope and Contents The letters and documents in this collection, including by many prominent Friends, shed light on several aspects of Quaker history and thought from religious to economic and cultural developments. Topics discussed include news of family and Friends, slavery and freedmen, Native Americans, Society of Friends affairs and controversies (e.g. Elias Hicks American Friends' Letters and the Separation of 1827-1828, the Wilbur-Gurney controversy, the Richmond Declaration of Faith), as well as women's...
Overview This collection includes an assortment of legal documents, including deeds, marriage certificates, indentures, and leases.
Scope and Contents Records of Extension Committee of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Delaware County, PA), 1921-1953, including Minute Books (1921-1952), Financial Records (1928-1953), Printed Materials (1921-1939) and minutes of the Approach to Public Subcommittee (1921-1927).
Scope and Contents The Amelia Mott Gummere papers (1831, 1881-1937) consist of Mott’s research and writing focused mainly on Quaker topics and John Woolman. The John Woolman series (1831, 1889-1890, 1901-1937) consists of primary source documents both original and reproductions related to John Woolman, including legal records, personal documents, photos, portraits, drawings, reproductions of journal pages, and his published and unpublished works, as well as the Gummere’s research on John Woolman, including...
Dates: 1681-1961; Majority of material found within 1899 - 1937
Scope and Contents This collection contains one volume of records, mostly minutes from the John Woolman Memorial Association. It spans from its start in 1915, finishing with dedication to the death of Amelia Mott Gummere, founder of the Association, in 1937. It includes the minutes from the organization of the Association, along with by-laws (both from the start, and revised). It also includes reports to the trustees, including financial, and the state of the house, and affairs of the house. Interspersed in the...
Scope and Contents These papers include journals, diaries, account books, commonplace books and poetry of the Matlack family, as well as some other families (Roberts and Stackhouse among others) plus 3 boxes of letters, genealogical materials, and other papers. Included among the papers is "Notes Taken from Samuel Spavold's Testimony," signed by Anthony Benezet (n.d.); a copy of George Keith's Journal of Travels...on the Continent of North America, printed in London, 1706; an announcement of a visit he will pay...
Scope and Contents This collection contains two copies of the Constitution for the New Jersey Association for Helping Indians, 1757. One copy has signatures of subscribers who gave money for the cause, including John Woolman. The other copy was found among records at Haddonfield Monthly Meeting, Haddonfield, New Jersey.
Abstract This collection includes Mercy Redman's journal of her visits to eighty-seven meetings in New York, New England, and Pennsylvania. During this time she met and travelled with John Woolman. Also included is a copy of the record kept by Thomas Redman of his imprisonment and trial for refusing to take an oath of loyalty to the United States. A poem written by John E. Redman and various other family documents are also included.
Overview Reproductions of photographs, documents, and objects used as book illustrations or in exhibits. Most of the original photographs, documents, and objects are at FHL but some are from other repositories.
Dates: 1981 - 1998
Abstract This collection includes papers and speeches written by Agnes L. Tierney. Subjects include John Woolman, Quakers in social reform, women's rights, and Quaker education.
Dates: 1885-1935 and n.d
- Names: Woolman, John, 1720-1772 X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 9
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 5
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- Quakers -- History 6
- Quaker women 3
- Quakers 3
- Quakers -- Diaries 3
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 2
- Quakers -- New Jersey 2
- Slavery and the church -- Society of Friends 2
- Society of Friends -- Education 2
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 2
- deeds 2
- American literature -- Quaker authors 1
- Business 1
- Clubs 1
- Historic house museums 1
- Indians of North America 1
- New Jersey 1
- Oaths -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Pennsbury Leaflets 1
- Quaker abolitionists 1
- Quaker authors 1
- Quaker deeds 1
- Quaker social reformers 1
- Quaker youth 1
- Quakers -- Abolitionists 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Genealogy 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Slavery -- United States 1
- Society of Friends -- Controversial literature 1
- Society of Friends -- Delaware 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Maryland 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions -- Japan 1
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- Publishing 1
- Society of Friends -- Sufferings 1
- Society of Friends -- Wilburite controversy 1
- Women -- Suffrage -- United States -- History 1
- Women's rights 1
- Woolman Series of Friendly Papers 1
- commonplace books 1
- correspondence 1
- diaries 1
- financial records 1
- indentures 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1
- marriage certificates 1
- negatives (photographs) 1
- notes 1
- photographs 1
- publications (documents) 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less