Skip to main content

The Harned (Moylan, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-083

Scope and Contents

Records of the Harned, 1931- 1996, including legal papers, financial records, correspondence, information regarding guests and historical material.

Dates

  • 1931-1996

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Parts of the collection are restricted.

Copyright and Rights Information

Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.

Biographical / Historical

Phebe Harned was born October 12, 1841, and died May 3, 1927, and her sister, Katherine S. Harned, was born December 17, 1848, and died November 16, 193 1. The Harned sisters were Orthodox Friends and lived in Springfield Township, Delaware County, PA.

The Harned, a non-profit boarding home for elderly men and women, was established through bequests from Katherine S. and Phebe Harned. A trust fund was initiated upon the death of Katherine Harned in 1931. In their wills, the Harned sister called for the appointment of a committee under the oversight of Chester (later Media) Monthly Meeting. They intended for the Home to be established in their home in Springfield, PA, but allowed for the Committee to have full authority to build or change locations. In February 1938, the Harned Committee, or Board of Directors, was appointed by Chester Monthly Meeting. In April 1940, subcommittees were established, including Advisory and Finance Committee, Admission Committee, and House and Grounds Committee. The first residents moved in during the fall of 1940. It was decided in 1943 that the Committee would buy the “Stellwagen property” in Moylan, PA, and the move was made in 1944.

The Harned was a very small, home-like facility with only eleven residents at full capacity. It was closed in June 1994 due to financial difficulties. The Harned Trust was continued, with income going to three established Quaker retirement homes: Barclay/Friends Hall, Stapeley Hall, and the Estaugh group in NJ (Medford Leas, etc.).

Extent

4.5 Linear Feet (9 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.

Arrangement

The collection is divided into five series:
  1. Historical Committee Material
  2. Minutes and Reports
  3. Financial Records
  4. Admission Information and Guest Records
  5. Miscellaneous Documents

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: Media Monthly Meeting Harned Committee, 1994, 1996

Separated Materials

The photographs that were originally part of this collection have been removed to PA 73.

Processing Information

Photos removed and filed in the Picture Collection [see PA 73]. Duplicates and envelopes of returned checks, 1958-1962, were returned to the donors. In 1996, Media Monthly Meeting deposited additional material, including photographs (removed to PA 73), Harned Committee minutes, 1991-1996, and trust accounts according to the wills of Katharine and Phebe Harned. Parts of the collection are restricted.
Title
An Inventory of the The Harned (Moylan, Pa.) Records, 1931-1996
Author
SKM
Date
1997
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA