Scattergood Family papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence includes approximately 320 letters (1781-1814) of Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814) to family and friends chiefly discussing spiritual matters and his travels in Great Britain, New England, North and South Carolina, Virginia, etc.
Also approximately 250 letters (1781-1814) to Scattergood discuss spiritual matters and Friends' activities, correspondents include Jonathan Binns, Josiah Bunting, John Cox, William Dillwyn, Henry Drinker, William Forster, Susanna Horne, Rebecca Jones, John Pemberton, Joseph Scattergood, Rebecca Scattergood, Rachel Smith, and others.
Thirty-six letters (1784-1798) of Sarah (Hoskins) Scattergood to her husband, Thomas Scattergood, and approx. 52 letters (1729-1864) of various Friends (chiefly with Hoskins family members), correspondents include John Hoskins, Nicholas Waln, and others; extracts (1822-1857) from letters and papers of William Scattergood (1804-1857).
Scrapbook of Mary (McCollin) Scattergood, containing illustrations and portraits of Biblical and Quaker subjects, famous people and places.
Scrapbook (1681-1903) of Alfred G. Scattergood containing letters, marriage certificates, and other documents of Scattergood and related families, as well as facsimiles, broadsides, and other papers related to Quakers; miscellaneous family papers include marriage certificates, photographs, poetry, etc.
Diaries (17 volumes, 1779-1811) of Thomas Scattergood include his reflections on his travels, his mental and spiritual state, and visits to Meetings. Also includes his description of the York Retreat.
Thomas and Elizabeth Scattergood's son was Joseph Scattergood (d. 1824), who, in 1801, married Ann Rogers. Their son was Joseph Scattergood, who, in 1831, married Mary McCollin. Joseph and Mary's son was Joseph Scattergood (1839-1890).
2.5 Linear Feet (1 box, 9 volumes)
- Volume 1 : Letters of Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1795
- Volume 2 : Letters of Thomas Scattergood, 1795-1814
- Volume 3 : Letters to Thomas Scattergood, 1781-1799
- Volume 4 : Letters to Thomas Scattergood, 1799-1814
- Volume 5 : Letters of Sarah Scattergood, 1784-1798
- Volume 6 : Miscellaneous letters and papers, 1729-1864
- Volume 7 : "Selections from the letters and papers of the late William Scattergood, 1860" [William Scattergood (1804-1857)]
- Volume 8 : Scrapbook of Mary (McCollin) Scattergood (miscellaneous pictures and portraits)
- Volume 9 : Scrapbook belonging to Alfred G. Scattergood of Germantown, Pa., 1681 (facsimile) 1903
- Miscellaneous papers, 1772-1909
- Diaries of Thomas Scattergood, 1779-1812
- Scattergood Family papers, 1681-1909
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2020: Revised and box listed added by Lillian Sweeney
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US