The New York Colored Mission records
Scope and Contents
Biographical / Historical
The New York Colored Mission was under the care of the Society of Friends from its inception in 1865. It was incorporated by the state of New York in 1871. Its objectives were “to conduct in the city of New York Sabbath schools for religious instruction, social religious meetings, an evening school for adults, a sewing school, a mother's meeting, an employment office, a free reading room, and a temperance society, also to employ missionaries to aid the society in promoting the foregoing." It also provided residence for some women. It was located on both 130th and 131st Streets in New York City until 1941, when it was reduced to three houses on 131st St. It was affiliated with the Protestant Welfare Federation.
Originally named the African Sunday School Association, the Mission was later renamed the New York Colored Mission. The governing arm of the Mission consisted of a Board of Managers and a Board of Trustees. While the managers, appointed by the trustees, carried on the work of the Mission, their actions were subject to approval by the Trustees.
Two of the Mission's leaders were Joshua L. Barton, 1849-1926, and Levi Hollingsworth Wood, 1873-1956. Barton, a doctor, was elected to the Board of Managers in 1883; he served as secretary and president of the Board of Trustees until his death in 1926. Wood, a lawyer, was elected secretary of the Board of Trustees in 1898, a position he held till his death in 1956. He was also active in other social work, and was chairman of the Board of the National Urban League.
Based on the Washingtonian principle of obtaining jobs and decent housing for blacks, the New York Colored Mission officially terminated in 1966 when the duBoisian principle of immediate equality for black people became preeminent. Assets of the Mission were turned over to New York Monthly Meeting.
6 Linear Feet (9 documents and 7 volumes)
- The New York Colored Mission records, 1865-1964
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US