Young Friends Movement (Hicksite) Records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Movement (H) and Young Friends Committee (O) are located in separate boxes, but under the common label of "Young Friends Movement". Records specific to either the Young Friends Committee (Orthodox) or Young Friends Movement (Joint) are catalogued under those respective headings.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
The Young Friends Movement (Hicksite) was first organized in 1916 and was recognized by PYM(H) two years later when the larger body appropriated funds and appointed an Advisory Board. Members were between the ages of 15 and 35 years, and paid one dollar annually. The Central Committee consisted of the Executive Committee, two representatives from each Quarterly or Half Yearly Meeting, and six to eight members at large. A General Conference was held on the 7th day preceding Yearly Meeting week, with the evening session devoted to the William Penn lecture. Pilgrimages were held in many communities to encourage a spirit of fellowship, and study groups were organized at the local level.
In 1930, 25 years before the two branches reunited, the Movement merged with its Orthodox counterpart and formed the Young Friends Movement (Joint). That group continued until 1975, at which point it merged with the Religious Education Committee of PYM.
2.25 Linear Feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955). Young Friends Movement (1916-1930)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Young Friends Committee (1925-1930)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Religious Education Committee
- Religious life -- Society of Friends
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- Young Friends Movement (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Youth -- Religious life
- YOUNG FRIENDS MOVEMENT (Hicksite) OF THE PHILADELPHIA YEARLY MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in the Haverford College Library Quaker Collection
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1676- : Delaware County, Pa.).
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library