Quakers -- United States -- History -- Sources
Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Rustin, Bayard
Overview Lawrence Scott was a construction engineer, Baptist clergyman, and Quaker activist. He worked as an activist against the testing of nuclear weapons and biological weapons research. He was the supervisor for the Friends Mississippi Project, project director of the Appeal and Vigil at Fort Detrick in Maryland, executive secretary of the Peace Action Center and a founder of A Quaker Action Group.