Nonviolence -- History -- Sources
Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents A Quaker Action Group (AQAG) records in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection include minutes, correspondence (1966-1971), memoranda, financial records, subject files (organizations), research files (topics), project files, newsletters, press releases, statements of Quaker yearly meetings in various cities, clippings, photographs and sound recordings. The files were first processed in 1974, and then again in 1980. In 2004, archival intern, Joe Clark, sorted the papers into the present order,...
Overview CNVA was one of the first American peace groups to focus on nonviolentdirect action including civil disobedience. Its purpose of organizing imaginative and dramatic protest demonstrations on both land and sea attracted radical pacifists and called the attention of the American public to the atrocities of nuclear warfare. CNVA's first protest action was a vigil held outside the atomic weapons test grounds in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1957. In the second half of its existence CNVA efforts began to...
Abstract Robert E. Levering is a pacifist and Quaker. He has been the co-author of Fortune magazine's annual list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For," and a speaker on workplace trends and management strategies aimed at improving workplace productivity. Levering is a graduate of Swarthmore College and the Martin Luther King Jr. School of Social Change.
Overview Bradford Lyttle is a long time leading peace activist involved in the promotion of nonviolence for social change and the elimination of war and nuclear weapons. Lyttle was the organizer of the San Francisco to Moscow walk in the 1960-1961, to highlight the message of disarmament and nonviolent resistance and bringing together U.S. and Soviet citizens together during the height of the Cold War. He went on to organize and participate in other marches and protests, including the Quebec - ...
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...