Quakers -- Pennsylvania
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 238 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Overview Friends' Freedmen's Association was an organization of Philadelphia Quakers founded in 1863 as Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity, for the Relief of Colored Freemen. Its purpose was to provide relief and education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. The name was changed circa 1873. From 1947-1955 the Association supported black students in schools and summer work camps. From 1955-1970 the income from investments was used to provide grants for scholarship to needy...
Overview Friends Historical Association is an organization that promotes research and publication on topics in Quaker history. Membership and editorial offices are located at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges. Minutes of the organization after 1964 are at Haverford College.
Overview This collection contains the records of Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, Quaker reference library and archives, founded in 1871. Included are administrative records and correspondence, primarily that of the librarians and other staff, and miscellaneous records.
Overview Friends' Home for Children (“Friendly Acres”) was established in 1881 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. Eventually it became a summer camp, “Camp Sommerdale,” a summer facility for the children....
Overview This collection contains the photographic records architectural and historical reports of the Friends Meeting House Survey of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting compiled between the years of 1996 and 2002 comissioned by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Meeting Houses surveyed include those throughout the Philadelphia, Delaware, and New Jersey areas.
Overview Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records of Friends Neighborhood Guild, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.
Overview Elizabeth A.W. (Betty) Furnas was an active member of the Society of Friends who served as a member of the Board of Pendle Hill and was a member of the Women's Problems Group of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and its sucessor, Philadelphia Quaker Women. The collection includes minutes and correspondence, particularly of the latter, as well as published and unpublished writings and other material.
Overview Dora Ann Gilbert (1869-1964), was Quaker librarian and genealogist from Chester, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Swarthmore College in 1893. The collection contains chiefly biographical and genealogical materials relating to the Gilbert, Strickland, Trego, and allied families, together with memorabilia relating to Swarthmore College Class of 1893, of which Gilbert was a member.