Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 88 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Pennsylvania Hall Association was a stockholders association formed in 1837 to erect a building in Philadelphia dedicated “to Liberty and the Rights of Man.” Many of the primary movers behind the Association were Quakers involved in the anti-slavery movement. The building was opened on May 14, 1838, and, as a symbol of the abolitionist movement, was destroyed by an angry mob on May 17, 1838. This collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers of the Association, 1838-1847, financial...
Dates: 1837-1899 (bulk 1837-1849)
Overview This collection is comprised of the correspondence, financial records, and legal records of Sansom Perot Morris. The collection includes hand drawn maps of property, copies of Sansom Perot's will, loose financial documents, rent contracts, deeds, and correspondence.
Overview Records of Philadelphia Friends Housing Inc., an independent corporation affiliated with Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends. The corporation raised and lent money for urban redevelopment in Philadelphia.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of one volume of Mark Balderston's notes for the Monthly Meeting of Philadelphia for the Northern District during the year 1878. It includes a list of members at that time, an index, along with minutes (unknown whether the minutes are original or copied).
Overview Philadelphia Quaker Women was a organization, informal in structure and membership, which worked with the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends to address the concerns of women. It was laid down in 1970. This collection contains minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous material, 1961-1971.
Overview Philadelphia Young Friends' Association was a Hicksite organization established in 1888 for educational and social purposes. The Young Friends Association established and operated The Whittier, a hotel and social center in Philadelphia. The name of the Association was changed in 1957 to The Whittier Association. The collection contains minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other records.
Overview This collection is comprised of the papers of Isaac Proctor. The majority of the collection is composed of the personal correspondence of Proctor from the end of the 18th century, but also includes a single, small diary, and a single folder of his financial records.
Overview This collection is comprised of the single folder collection of Robert Proud's manuscripts. The majority of the collection is comprised of notes on Robert Proud's life, presumably written by a descendant. The most significant item is titled "Notes & memorandums by Robert Proud of Philadelphia respecting his early turn of mind, education etc., anno 1786." There is also information in another hand about other Proud family members, a Robert Proud signature, and some fragments.
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of the single volume Treasurer's account book for the Provident Society for Employing the Poor. The volume records deposits, withdrawals for payments, and account balances for the accounts of the Provident Society for employing the Poor. The inside cover includes a description of the duties of the Treasurer for the Society, as well as lists of the board of managers of the Society for different years.
Abstract This collection includes photographic copies of letters regarding his travels in the ministry, family birth certificates, and a list of ship stores. Also included is a letter from John Pemberton, relating family news and giving an account of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.