Delaware County (Pa.)
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Samuel J. Bunting, Jr., (1889-1966) was a birthright Hicksite Friend descended from a family that was associated for many generations with the Society of Friends in Pennsylvania and, in particular, with the Darby Monthly Meeting. A graduate of Swarthmore College and banker by profession, he was interested in genealogy and worked over a long period of time to compile family records. Included is material on the Bunting, Ridgways, Andrews, and Lloyd families as well as original documents, such as...
Content Description Business records of the historic Delaware County, Pennsylvania, dairy farm and creamery of J and J Darlington, as well as the business records of the Darlington/Darling Post Office, about 1879-1922. The rural branch of Postal Service was established about 1879 and officially closed in 1976. The name was changed to Darling Post Office in 1896 to avoid confusion with a Darlington in Beaver County, Pennsylvania.
Dates: Majority of material found within about 1875-1922
Overview This collection contains the papers of the Darlington family of Delaware County, Pa., and Woodstown, NJ. Quakers with strong ties to Swarthmore College, the family was involved in education, social and peace concerns, and businesses in the Philadelphia area. Charles J. Darlington (1894-1966) served as Clerk of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends during the reunification of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings. The collection includes family correspondence relating to...
Overview The Gibbons Home was a residential home in Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pa., for elderly women of limited income. It was established in 1918 by the will of Sallie P. Gibbons, the last survivor of a family which had local Quaker roots. The Home was finally opened in the family house on Baltimore Pike in 1940. The house was torn down in 1970 to make way for a mall, and the Gibbons Home moved to a new building on Lincoln Avenue in Springfield. In 2000 the assets of the Home were...
Dates: ca.1880-ca.1987 (bulk: 1892-1969)
Overview The Painter family was an early Pennsylvania Quaker family that married into the Minshall family of Delaware County. In 1681, William Penn granted Thomas Minshall a land tract which now includes the Tyler Arboretum. The property was home to eight generations of the same family. The collection includes family correspondence, business and legal papers, property records, papers on interests and concerns of the Painter brothers, genealogical papers, and miscellaneous deeds and other papers...