Quakers -- Societies, etc.
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 47 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Records of the Friends Temperance Union of New York, a Quaker organization which promoted abstinence from all alcohol. It was founded in 1876 and ceased to meet after 5/1898. Includes Minutes, Executive Committee minutes, a Treasurer's book, and miscellaneous papers.
Overview Alice C. Paxson Hadley (1857-1919) was the daughter of Frederick and Lydia Betts Paxson, Philadelphia Hicksite Quakers. She was a founding member of the Thread and Needle Society, a social and charitable club of young Friends. Alice kept a diary that recorded events and meetings of the group 1873 to 1880 which were transcribed by her granddaughter, and she collected memorabilia and speeches she presented.
Overview Hadassah M.L. Holcombe (1891-1978) was a Quaker educator who was a co-founder of the Friends Council of Education and served as Secretary of the Friends General Conference and Chairman of the Committee on Education of the Friends World Conference. Hadassah Holcombe taught mathematics at the Germantown Friends School for ten years, and, in addition to her other activities, served on the Boards of Swarthmore College, Antioch, George School, Sidwell Friends, and Haverford College. The collection...
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Overview The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the...
Overview E. Carlton MacDowell (Edwin Carlton) (1887-1973) was a Quaker zoologist and relief worker. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, memorabilia, pictures and other papers, relating to MacDowell's involvement in Quaker relief activities in France during and after World War I. Includes material relating to American Friends Service Committee's Reconstruction Unit and Message Committee, Berlin Centre Committee, and Friends Council for International Service.
Overview Media Friends Association, a Quaker study and social group, was established in 1894 in Media, Pennsylvania, by members of Providence Preparative Meeting (Hicksite). The goal of the Association was to further discussion and knowledge of the history and testimonies of Friends, and the meetings, which included reports, papers, and readings, were open to all who were interested. The collection contains one volume of minutes, with constitution and by-laws included.
Overview The Novelty was a women's social club founded in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Most of its first members were Quakers and members of Lansdowne Monthly Meeting. The group was established "for the promotion of sociability and good house and home-keeping," according to its by-laws. The records include minutes, 1887-1938 and scattered, 1954, 1982-1984; by-laws and membership lists and attendance, writings by members, histories, and some miscellaneous material.
Overview The Ozone Club was a golf association for Quaker men in the Philadelphia area. It was established in 1901 and included in its membership the presidents of Swarthmore College and prominent Quakers. The Niblick Club which was set-off from the Ozone Club in the 1920s, also was a men's golf association with Quaker membership. The Ozone Club records include minute books, correspondence and miscellaneous papers. A small amount of records from the Niblick Club is also included with the collection,...