Quakers -- Societies, etc.
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 47 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Pennsylvania Hall Association was a stockholders association formed in 1837 to erect a building in Philadelphia dedicated “to Liberty and the Rights of Man.” Many of the primary movers behind the Association were Quakers involved in the anti-slavery movement. The building was opened on May 14, 1838, and, as a symbol of the abolitionist movement, was destroyed by an angry mob on May 17, 1838. This collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers of the Association, 1838-1847, financial...
Overview Philadelphia Quaker Women was a organization, informal in structure and membership, which worked with the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends to address the concerns of women. It was laid down in 1970. This collection contains minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous material, 1961-1971.
Overview Philadelphia Young Friends' Association was a Hicksite organization established in 1888 for educational and social purposes. The Young Friends Association established and operated The Whittier, a hotel and social center in Philadelphia. The name of the Association was changed in 1957 to The Whittier Association. The collection contains minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other records.
Overview William Webb Price (1892-1961) was a Quaker architect, teacher, and actor, of Rose Valley, Pennsylvania. The collection contains chiefly letters written by Price to his family while serving with Friends War Victims Relief Committee in France during and shortly after World War I; together with reports, financial papers, memorabilia, and printed material relating to Quaker reconstruction activities in France.
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Quaker United Nations Office
Abstract The collection contains the minutes, 1833-1853, of the Sewing Society which was established in 1833 by a group of New York Orthodox Quaker women. Its mission was to prepare clothing for the poor.
Overview Mary Williams Shoemaker (1861-1953) was a Quaker philanthropist from Germantown, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of Franklin and Mary (Williams) Shoemaker. The collection contains chiefly journals (1934-1945) and correspondence (1914-1953) relating to Shoemaker's support of Quaker historical, educational, and social service agencies; together with correspondence of her brother, Thomas Howard Shoemaker (1851-1936), relating to his historical interests and civic activities. Includes deeds and...
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
The New York Association of Friends for the Relief of Those Held in Slavery and the Improvement of the Free People of Color
Overview The New York Association of Friends for the Relief of Those Held in Slavery and the Improvement of Free People of Color was a Quaker society in New York City, organized in 1839. Its purpose was to support the abolition of slavery and educational charities for blacks. This small collection contains a minute book (6/1839-5/1843) and loose minutes (1844).
The Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women records
Overview This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.