Skip to main content

Old age homes -- Pennsylvania

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Friends' Boarding Home of the Concord Quarterly Meeting

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-081
Overview The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which...
Dates: 1890-1991

Gibbons Home (Springfield, Pa.) records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-106
Overview The Gibbons Home was a residential home in Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pa., for elderly women of limited income. It was established in 1918 by the will of Sallie P. Gibbons, the last survivor of a family which had local Quaker roots. The Home was finally opened in the family house on Baltimore Pike in 1940. The house was torn down in 1970 to make way for a mall, and the Gibbons Home moved to a new building on Lincoln Avenue in Springfield. In 2000 the assets of the Home were...
Dates: ca.1880-ca.1987 (bulk: 1892-1969)

The Harned (Moylan, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-083
Overview The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
Dates: 1931-1996

The Harned photographs

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-PA-073
Overview The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains loose and mounted photographs, clippings, and a scrapbook depicting residential life.
Dates: 1911 - 1992