Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Education
Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The collection consists of six items, four of which are booklets and two of which are sets of photos. The booklets include a handbook presented to freshmen in September 1936 by Haverford College's Student Association, of which Stephen Cary was a chairman; a booklet describing Haverford's aims and characteristics from 1879; the Haverford Athletic Annual Class book from 1900; and a booklet called "Continuation of Short History of '37" from 1942, which lists the members of the class of 1937 and...
Dates: 1879 - ca. 1990s
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Overview The collection contains correspondence, journals and other writings, business and legal papers, and miscellaneous items of the Smedley family, a large and prominent Quaker family of Penncrest Farm, Middletown Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The family was related to the Kite and Sharples/Sharpless families of Chester and Delaware Counties. The papers include significant correspondence of the Kite family, especially Thomas Kite (1785-1845) and Mary Kite (1792-1861), both prominent...
Dates: 1751 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1821 - 1950
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.