Bigelow, Albert, 1906-
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview CNVA was one of the first American peace groups to focus on nonviolentdirect action including civil disobedience. Its purpose of organizing imaginative and dramatic protest demonstrations on both land and sea attracted radical pacifists and called the attention of the American public to the atrocities of nuclear warfare. CNVA's first protest action was a vigil held outside the atomic weapons test grounds in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1957. In the second half of its existence CNVA efforts began to...
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...
Overview The Phoenix Defense Fund was established through the efforts of Norman Cousins and other supporters of Barbara and Earle Reynolds. The Reynolds sailed the yacht Phoenix into a nuclear test site, Eniwetok Proving Grounds, as a protest against nuclear war. They were arrested, tried, and acquitted (1958-1960). The organization was also known as Reynolds Defense Fund.
Dates: 1957-1961; Majority of material found within 1958-1959