Hester, Hugh B. (Hugh Bryan), 1895-1983
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract A Quaker lobbying group established in 1943 to bring conscience and spiritual values to the political process in Washington; it grew out of the work of the Friends War Problems Committee in 1940.
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...