Friends' Institute records
Scope and Contents
Records include correspondence, minutes, financial accounts, membership records, annual reports and building plans. One set of reports is by the General Secretary of the Institute covering the years from 1928-1940. Among the secretaries were Mary Hoxie Jones, Virginia Reich, Peace Canby Hall. Among correspondents were David Alsop, Preston Buckman, Richard Lane, Clarence Pickett, Jonathan Steere, John Wills, Asa Wing, though in most cases, neither the letter writer nor recipient was from Friends Institute.
- Friends' Institute for Young Men (Philadelphia, Pa.) (Organization)
The collection is open for research use
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)
Biographical / Historical
The Friends’ Institute for Young Men was originally located at 112 N. 7th Street in Philadelphia when it was established in 1880 to offer a reading room and lecture and meeting room where “suitable” periodical and other literature would be available to young men connected with the Society of Friends. There were approximately 200 original members of the Institute including Edward Bettle, Jr., Ellis Y. Brown, T. Wistar Brown, John G. Bullock, Richard Cadbury, Howard Comfort, William H. Jenks, John H. Dillingham, John B. Garrett, Robert B. Haines, Josiah Leeds, Charles Roberts, Thomas Scattergood, George Vaux, Asa Wing, Edward M. Wistar and others.
Although women were almost immediately allowed to use the reading room, by 1885, it was concluded that since women served on so many charitable and philanthropic organizations which held meetings in the Institute, the efficiency of the Association would increase, and there would be no detrimental effect in allowing them to become members. At that point, the name changed to The Friends’ Institute.
Around 1892, the Institute moved to 20 S. 12th Street, where later it would share quarters with the American Friends Service Committee. The Institute’s purpose was said “to provide recreational facilities to Friends in the central section of the city.” Charter was granted by the Court of Common Pleas in 1887. At least by the time of the publication of the Inventory of Church Archives in 1942, there was no affiliation with Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and indicates “only a cooperative relationship with the church organization.”
(Information from annual reports of Friends’ Institute and Inventory of Church Archives)
2 Linear Feet (1 box and 14 volumes)
The Friends' Institute in Philadelphia was established in the late 19th century to afford a reading room for Quakers coming from surrounding areas into the city. Records include correspondence, minutes, financial accoutns, membership records, annual reports and building plans.
Materials are arranged by type and chronologically.
Original processing information unknown. Reboxed and finding aid revised in October 2022 by Erick Iraheta.
- Friends' Institute records, 1876-1970
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2022: Reboxed and finding aid updated
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US