Swarthmore Borough Gardens lantern slides, 1920 - 1930
Scope and Contents
Includes images of gardens on Cedar Lane, Chester Road, Ogden Avenue, Swarthmore Avenue, and the Woman's Club Flower Show, circa 1930
- 1920 - 1930
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
This collection is available for research use.
1 boxes (29 slides)
Lantern slides by T. H. Milligan, Philadelphia, of gardens and homes in Swarthmore Borough, Pennsylvania, including Swarthmore, Ogden, Cedar Avenues, and North Chester Road.
According to the donor, Irma Zimmer, life-long Swarthmore resident, gave the Menkes the lantern slides and magic lantern projector in the 1980s when they were neighbors on Ogden Avenue. She had acquired them from her mother, Agnes Zimmer, who was an active member of the Garden Section of the Womans Club of Swarthmore. In the 1990s, William Menke made copy 35mm slides. He donated a set to the Swarthmore Historical Society and also to the Archives of Garden History at the Smitsonian.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of William and Carol Menke, 2009
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA