SFHL/SCA/stu. Student Groups and Activities
Found in 41 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists of primarily published materials, 1891-1933, relating to Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Beta Chapter, the first sorority to maintain a chapter at Swarthmore College. The Chapter was established in 1891 and laid down in 1933 when the College abolished sororities. Included are national publications of the fraternity, directories of Swarthmore chapter alumnae; an initiation certificate; and a photograph album.
Kappa Sigma Pi was the Pi Chapter of the national fraternity Kappa Sigma until 1962 when it was suspended on charges of "attempting to involve other chapters in organizing to defy some of the Kappa Sigma basic principles." The local folded in 1971 due to low membership and financial debt. This small collection contains material pertaining to its last years.
The collection contains the records of the Swarthmore College Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa from its founding in 1893 until 1942, with gaps in some series.
Contains the records of Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Omicron Psi, and Phi Psi from 1889 to 1967, with gaps in some series. Now a local fraternity at Swarthmore College, Phi Psi began as Pennsylvania Kappa, a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Pennsylvania Kappa was established in 1889 and was a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi until 1963.
The Phi Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa was established at Swarthmore College in 1906. By 1991, it was abolished, a victim of mounting debt and student disinterest. The collection includes correspondence, 1956-1957, concerning the Chapter's pledging of an African American, the first at the College; other correspondence mostly concerning the mounting debt; and agreements and leases.
The Swarthmore Phoenix, Swarthmore College's newspaper, began as a monthly publication in 1881. This small collection contains an account book, 1884-1899, and some miscellaneous papers, including letters to the editor concerning the abolishment of women's fraternities in 1933 and a scrapbook about a 1953 prank article that asserted Adlai Stevenson had accepted the position of Swarthmore College President.
This collection consists of two song books used by Pi Beta Phi, Pennsylvania Alpha Chapter. Pi Beta Phi was the second sorority to maintain a chapter at Swarthmore College (est. 1892) and the largest sorority on campus in 1932, just before the college abolished sororities in 1933.