SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives
Found in 140 Collections and/or Records:
This series includes the minutes and miscellaneous records of the Faculty, in both original paper format and microfilm. The minutes for the first meeting covered in Vol. 1, for 3rd mo. 5, 1877, start with approval of the minutes of the previous meeting, indicating that there is probably a missing volume.
The Swarthmore College financial records include materials from the college's Treasurer, Development Office, Finance Office, committees of the Board of Managers, and other entities of the college. Included are bookkeeping records for college finances, student tuition records, both printed and handwritten fundraising materials, and more.
In 1987, several alumni of Swarthmore College proposed to the Alumni Office the idea of forming a gay and lesbian alumni network. The network produced several issues of a newsletter, Out Together, before apparently becoming dormant. This collection includes copies of the newsletter, letters from alumni (often featuring memoirs of gay life at Swarthmore), and other materials used for the creation and production of the newsletter.
Contains topical reference files on Swarthmore College including buildings and grounds, history, activities, events, etc. Files compiled by staff of Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College.
This small collection consists of the records dated from 1930 to about 1940 of the Swarthmore College Glee Club, an auditioned, all-male vocal group. Includes correspondence involving performances at various venues, financial papers, a sampling of notices detailing rehearsal and meeting times, trip itineraries, group rosters, and a number of official concert programs.
The Scientific Society of Swarthmore College was organized in 1880. In 1895, it was renamed the Joseph Leidy Scientific Society. The organization was open to students, faculty and staff as well as local residents of the Borough of Swarthmore. Its mission was to keep abreast of developments in science. The collection contains the constitution, a published paper read before the Society, and a book of minutes, 1902-1915.
This collection consists of primarily published materials, 1891-1933, relating to Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Beta Chapter, the first sorority to maintain a chapter at Swarthmore College. The Chapter was established in 1891 and laid down in 1933 when the College abolished sororities. Included are national publications of the fraternity, directories of Swarthmore chapter alumnae; an initiation certificate; and a photograph album.
Kappa Sigma Pi was the Pi Chapter of the national fraternity Kappa Sigma until 1962 when it was suspended on charges of "attempting to involve other chapters in organizing to defy some of the Kappa Sigma basic principles." The local folded in 1971 due to low membership and financial debt. This small collection contains material pertaining to its last years.