Skip to main content

SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives

 Record Group
Identifier: SFHL/SCA
The Friends Historical Library collects, preserves, and provides access to the institutional archives of Swarthmore College.

Found in 141 Collections and/or Records:

Eunomian Literary Society Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q003
Abstract

The Eunomian Literary Society was a men's debating and speaking club founded at Swarthmore College, Pa., in 1871. In 1913, the group merged with the Delphic Literary Society, forming the Athenaeum. Records include minutes from 1871 to May 1913. Also includes printed copies of the constitution and by-laws and correspondence from 1872 to 1900.

Dates: 1872-1897

Little Theater Club (Swarthmore College) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q004
Abstract The Little Theater Club was established at Swarthmore College about 1922 to create a stable foundation for theatrical projects and coordinate productions on campus. No course credit was given for participation. After Swarthmore created a Drama Department in 1968/69, the Little Theater Club became inactive. The collection contains the records of the Little Theater Club of Swarthmore College, 1924-1969, including programs, scripts, clippings, financial records, and related materials. Also...
Dates: 1924-1970; 1946-1969 (bulk)

Swarthmore College Book and Key Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q005
Abstract

Book and Key was a senior men's honor society that was active at Swarthmore College from 1906 to 1957. The collection contains the records of the Book and Key and the Temple Trust Association including by-laws, history, minutes, financial papers, correspondence, scrapbooks, a large Bible, and a large plaque.

Dates: 1906-1966

Swarthmore College. Black Cultural Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q006
Abstract Contains the records of the Black Cultural Center, founded in 1969 and located on the campus of Swarthmore College. The BCC serves as a home for a number of organizations on campus including SASS (Swarthmore African-American Student Society), Gospel Choir, and Mjumbe, a literary magazine representing black students. The collection includes constitution, minutes, correspondence, and other records of SASS, the records of the Gospel Choir which was founded in 1971, and recent records of Mjumbe,...
Dates: 1968-2000

Swarthmore Warders of Imaginative Literature (SWIL) records

 Collection — Othertype RG6-Q007
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q007
Abstract

The Swarthmore Warders of Imaginative Literature, Swarthmore College's science fiction & fantasy club, was formed in 1979. The club regularly organizes showings of science fiction and fantasy movies, short story readings, and occasionally brings writers to speak at Swarthmore.

Dates: 1980-1988

Phi Beta Kappa. Epsilon of Pennsylvania (Swarthmore College)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q008
Abstract

The collection contains the records of the Swarthmore College Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa from its founding in 1893 until 1942, with gaps in some series.

Dates: 1893-1942

Debate Board Records (Swarthmore College)

 Collection — Othertype RG6-Q026
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q026
Abstract In 1903, the Oratorical Association, together with College faculty, invited representatives from preparative schools to compete in an Interscholastic Oratorical Contest held at Swarthmore College. Within a few years, public high schools were also invited to compete. In June 1903, Professor Pearson was elected president of the Swarthmore College Debate Board. The collection includes one bound volume containing the minutes of the Debate Board, 1903-1922, and literature and scoring of the...
Dates: 1903-1922

Phi Psi (Swarthmore College) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q009
Abstract

Contains the records of Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Omicron Psi, and Phi Psi from 1889 to 1967, with gaps in some series. Now a local fraternity at Swarthmore College, Phi Psi began as Pennsylvania Kappa, a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Pennsylvania Kappa was established in 1889 and was a chapter of Phi Kappa Psi until 1963.

Dates: 1889-1986

Phi Sigma Kappa, Phi Chapter Records

 Collection — Othertype RG6-Q010
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q010
Abstract

The Phi Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa was established at Swarthmore College in 1906. By 1991, it was abolished, a victim of mounting debt and student disinterest. The collection includes correspondence, 1956-1957, concerning the Chapter's pledging of an African American, the first at the College; other correspondence mostly concerning the mounting debt; and agreements and leases.

Dates: 1921-1991

Swarthmore College WSRN (Radio Station) records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-Q011
Abstract The Swarthmore College Radio Club, founded before 1933, was reorganized in 1939. It was open to all students interested in short wave radio communication. The club had its own transmitter and operated station W3YJ, affiliated with the American Radio Relay League. In 1940, the Radio Club began to sponsor the Swarthmore Network, a wired wireless station on the commercial broadcast band. The station acquired its current call letters, WSRN, sometime before 1952; it was a member of the...
Dates: 1957-1997