Byberry Library Company Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the records of the Byberry Library Company, 1794-1930. It includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.
- Byberry Library Company (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
Byberry Library was established on December 29, 1794, and incorporated in 1799. It opened with 63 volumes in the house of a member. In 1798, the library was moved to the Byberry Friends School House. When the School House was rebuilt in 1823, the books were temporarily removed, but replaced in the school the following year. Although the stockholders were not exclusively Friends, the Library was generally under Quaker management.
According to a pamphlet prepared for the 150th anniversary of Byberry Meeting House, the Library was still in operation in 1958.
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Byberry Library Company was founded in 1794 and incorporated in 1799. Located in the Byberry section of Philadelphia, Pa., the Library was generally under Quaker management. The collection includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.
The collection is organized into 5 series. The series are:
- Minutes of the Committee of Directors
- Constitution, By-Laws, Catalogues
- Circulation Records
- Financial Records
- Property Records
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by Byberry Monthly Meeting
Removed from Byberry Monthly Meeting Records in 1991, catalogued separately and stored in Record Group 4.
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA