Walter R. Miles correspondence concerning Why be loyal to the Society of Friends?
In April of 1911, Walter R. Miles, then professor at Iowa State University, posed this query to other Quakers: Why be loyal to the Society of Friends as a distinct denomination? This collection includes responses he received over the next year from prominent Friends across the nation, particularly educators from the Midwest. The letters present their spiritual and doctrinal philosophies. Authors include J. Herschell Coffin, H. Lavinia Bailey, O. Edward Janney, Edward Grubb, Joseph Elkinton, Rufus Jones, Isaac Sharples, President of Haverford College, John F. Hanson, Murray S. Kenworthy, L.L. Hobbs, founder of Whittier College, Edwin McGrew, Charles E. Tebbets, Edmund Stanley, and others.
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Walter R. Miles, a Quaker educator born in 1885, was a professor of Philosophy and Psychology at the State University of Iowa.
.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (1 folder.))
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Rubinfine. Method of acquisition--Purchased from; Date of acquisition--1981.
- Miles, Walter R. ((Walter Richard)), b. 1885 (Person)
- Janney, O. Edward (Oliver Edward), 1856-1930 (Contributor, Person)
- Grubb, Edward, 1854-1939 (Contributor, Person)
- Elkinton, Joseph, 1859-1920 (Contributor, Person)
- Jones, Rufus M. (Rufus Matthew), 1863-1948 (Contributor, Person)
- Sharpless, Isaac, 1848-1920 (Contributor, Person)
- Hanson, John F. (John Frederick), 1841-1917 (Contributor, Person)
- Haviland, Henry M. (Henry Morris), 1840?-1943 (Contributor, Person)
- Kenworthy, Murray S., 1874-1951 (Contributor, Person)
- Coffin, J. Herschel (Joseph Herschel), b.1880 (Contributor, Person)
- Hobbs, L.L. (Lewis Lyndon), 1849-1932 (Contributor, Person)
- McGrew, Edwin, 1868- (Contributor, Person)
- Tebbets, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1855- (Contributor, Person)
- Stanley, Edmund, 1847-1928 (Contributor, Person)
- Stranahan, E.H. (Edgar Howard), 1875-1944 (Contributor, Person)
- Baily, H. Lavinia (Hannah Lavinia), 1837-1921 (Contributor, Person)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA