Mennonite Central Committee Peace Section / U.S. Peace Section Collected Records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes meeting minutes, printed material (brochures, reports, newsletters) and print-outs of emails, and is foldered in chronological order. There was a Peace Section as well as a U.S. Peace Section in the 1980s, and a Peace Committee existed as well during that time; material is separated accordingly. Most of the collection was received at the SCPC as mailings and has been kept in the same order as it was received.
- MCC U.S.. Peace Section (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials are in English.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open for research use.
Physical Access Note
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
Copyright and Rights Information
The Peace Section of the Mennonite Central Committee was established in January 1942, as successor to the Mennonite Central Peace Committee organized in 1939. It was composed of delegated representatives of the peace committees of the constituent conferences, plus the MCC Executive Secretary ex officio, and two members at large. It functioned through an executive committee of five and a full-time executive secretary with office at the MCC headquarters in Akron (Pennsylvania). J. Harold Sherk was a long-time executive secretary 1950-1958. H. S. Bender served as chairman continuously from 1942. The Peace Section had two representatives on the International Mennonite Peace Committee. The Peace Section served as an agency for counseling on problems related to conscription and the draft, a representation to government, a center for study, research, and writing regarding the peace position, and a central agency for peace education. For more information, see http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M4658.html. Currently there is no Peace Section per se; peace efforts are carried out by MCC through its peace education staffperson/s.
2.71 Linear Feet (32.5 linear in.)
The Peace Section of the Mennonite Central Committee was established in January 1942, as successor to the Mennonite Central Peace Committee organized in 1939. It served as an agency for counseling on problems related to conscription and the draft, a representation to government, a center for study, research, and writing regarding the peace position, and a central agency for peace education.
Arranged in chronological order.
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for these records.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received via mail.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Processed, and checklist prepared, by Anne Yoder, Archivist, January 2010.
- Civilian Public Service
- Conscientious objectors -- United States -- History -- Sources
- I-W service
- MCC U.S.. Peace Section
- MCC U.S.. Peace and Justice Ministries
- Mennonite Central Committee. Peace Section
- Mennonites -- Charities -- History -- Sources
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Conscientious objectors -- United States -- Sources
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2017: The file list was standardized in Summer 2017 by Min Cheng in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace. Tessa Chambers added the notes in Fall 2017.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US