Doug Rand Papers
Scope and Contents
This small collection comes from the files of Doug Rand and covers five topics related to local peace and political actions in Santa Cruz: the successful efforts to stop beach area development, the election victory that grew from public discontent with the development, the installation of "Collateral Damage" anti-war statue/s, the Aaron Ahearn trial, and visits of Navy warships to Santa Cruz.
- circa 1984-1998
- Rand, Doug (Douglas R.), 1954-2000 (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collected is open for research use.
Physical Access Note
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
Copyright and Rights Information
Douglas Ronald Rand was born in Summerville (New Jersey) in 1954. He was a community activist, environmentalist, anti-nuclear and peace activist, and organizer and leader in many community projects in the Santa Cruz (California) area. He served as the director of the Resource Center for Nonviolence in Santa Cruz, CA, and was also involved with the Santa Cruz Action Network. He died on March 5, 2000 in Santa Cruz at the age of 45.
3.2 Linear Feet (45 linear inches)
Material is arranged primarily in the order in which it came to the SCPC.
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Boxes 1-8 gift of Resource Center for Nonviolence, 2006 [acc. 06A-022].
Photos were removed to the Photograph Collection.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Processed by SCPC staff [student assistants], 2006. This finding aid updated by Wendy Chmielewski, July 2013.
- Ahearn, Aaron
- Antinuclear movement -- California -- Santa Cruz -- History -- Sources
- Community activists -- California -- Santa Cruz -- History -- Sources
- Environmentalists -- California -- Santa Cruz -- History -- Sources
- Peace movements -- California -- Santa Cruz -- History -- Sources
- Rand, Doug (Douglas R.), 1954-2000
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2017: The file list was standardized in Summer 2017 by Min Cheng in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace. Elisabeth Miller added the notes in Fall 2017.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US