Skip to main content

Adelphi Monthly Meeting Records

 Collection — Othertype SW/B/A35
Identifier: QM-BYM-A35

Abstract

Records of Adelphi Monthly Meeting, 1996-2019. Records deposited by General Secretary of Baltimore Yearly Meeting rather than Adelphia.

Dates

  • Creation: 1996 - 2019

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repository. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

Adelphi Monthly Meeting was established as a united meeting in 1956, formed by the joining of the Orthodox Washington Monthly Meeting (Irving Street) and College Park Meeting under the new shared name of Adelphi. Its meetinghouse was purchased with proceeds reserved by Baltimore Yearly Meeting from the sale of the Irving Street Meetinghouse previously used by Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).

Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) was formally established in 1899 although Quakerism in Washington, DC dates to at least 1807. After the 1828 Separation, Orthodox Quakers in the District were attached to Indian Spring Preparative Meeting in Maryland, but by 1876 were holding Meetings for Worship in DC homes and began construction on a dedicated meetinghouse in 1899. That meetinghouse was sold in 1947 with worship having moved to the Friends Meeting Washington meetinghouse after its construction in 1930. Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) records are described separately in QM-B-W375.

College Park began hosting a small Meeting for Worship in 1949, and was not independently established as a monthly meeting.

Adelphi Friends Meeting is an active meeting.

Extent

0.1 linear ft.

0.1 GB

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

This collection is stored at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library