Blackwater Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Blackwater and Upper Monthly Meetings, 1765-1832. Includes men's minutes 1765-1776 (Blackwater), 1779-1807 (Blackwater), 1800-1832 (Upper); women's minutes 1752-1775 (Blackwater), 1792-1803 (Blackwater), and 1800-1832 (Upper); vital records 1760-1810, and miscellaneous.
- Blackwater Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Seacock, Va.) and Upper Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Gravelly Run, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
Blackwater Monthly Meeting was also called Surry, Burleigh, and Gravelly Run Meeting before 1800. Friends in Brunswick County, Wards Meeting, asked to join in 1770. Blackwater Monthly Meeting was held alternately at Blackwater and Burleigh until 1800 when Burleigh and Gravelly Run Preparative meetings separated from Blackwater Monthly Meeting. In 1807 the Blackwater Monthly Meeting was laid down and membership joined to the Western Branch Monthly Meeting.
The Upper Monthly Meeting was formed in 1800 with the separation of the Burleigh and Gravelly Run Preparative Meetings from Blackwater Monthly Meeting in Sussex County. Meetings were held alternately at Burleigh in Prince George County and Gravelly Run in Dinwiddie County. In 1832 the Upper Monthly Meeting was laid down and membership joined the Western Branch Monthly Meeting.
1.5 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1.Vital Records; 2.Men's and Joint Minutes; 3.Women's Minutes; 4.Miscellaneous
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
- Blackwater Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Seacock, Va.)
- Slaves -- Emancipation -- United States -- Societies, etc.
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Dinwiddie County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Prince George County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Surry County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Sussex County
- Surry County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Surry Meeting (Society of Friends : Surry County, Va.)
- Sussex County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Upper Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Gravelly Run, Va.)
- Western Branch Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Isle of Wight County, Va.)
- RECORDS OF BLACKWATER AND UPPER MONTHLY MEETINGS
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library