Centre Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Centre Monthly Meeting, pre-Separation, Hicksite, and Orthodox, 1754-1936. Pre-Separation and Hicksite records include: men's and joint minutes 1803-1936, women's minutes 1803-85, vital records 1754-1923, and miscellaneous 1889-1920. Orthodox records include: men's and joint minutes 1868-1918, women's minutes 1863-1892, Ministers and Elders minutes 1841-1898, and miscellaneous, 1927-1929.
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
Centre was established as a preparative meeting under Warrington in 1797, and became a monthly meeting in 12mo 1803. During the Separation of 1828, the meeting affiliated with the Hicksite branch of Friends; Orthodox members withdrew. In 1835, the Hicksite meeting came under the jurisdiction of the newly established Centre Quarterly Meeting. Centre Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was held regularly until the 1930s, but was not laid down until 1975. Centre Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) was re-established in 1834. After 1840 it was under the jurisdiction of the Dunnings Creek Meeting. It was finally laid down in 1919.
2 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1.Men's and Joint Minutes; 2.Women's Minutes; 3.Vital Records; 4. Worship and Ministry and its Predecessors; 5. Committees; 6. Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
Existence and Location of Copies
Also available in microfilm, for use in the Library only: MR-B23, 96, B8B
Vol. 1.2 includes indexed minutes.
- Centre County (Pa.) -- Genealogy
- Centre Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1803-1828 : Port Matilda, Pa.)
- Centre Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Hicksite : 1828-1936 : Port Matilda, Pa.)
- Centre Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Orthodox : 1834-1929 : Port Matilda, Pa.)
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Centre County
- RECORDS OF CENTRE MONTHLY MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library