Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Baltimore Monthly Meeting, Stony Run, and its immediate predecessor, Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Western District, c.1658-1998. Includes men's and joint minutes 1807-1994, women's minutes 1807-1897, vital records c1658-1994, Ministers and Elders minutes 1834-1992, financial records 1829-1992, Misc 1808-1995, library Comm 1820-1992, newsletters 1920-1998, trustees 1830-1995, benevolent society 1840-1980, first day school 1860-1917, Taylor home 1931-1976.
- Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends (Stony Run) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
In 1807, Baltimore Monthly Meeting was divided into two meetings. The successor of the original Baltimore Monthly Meeting (formed in 1792) became the Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Eastern District and continued to meet at Aisquith. The new monthly meeting was called Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Western District, and met at Lombard Street. Tensions arose between the two over use of the burial ground. These disagreements resulted in the laying down of Eastern District by Baltimore Yearly Meeting in 1819; the former became a preparative meeting under the Western District. In 1864, Hicksite Western District officially changed its name to Baltimore Monthly Meeting. In 1889, the meeting moved to the Park Avenue Meeting House. They changed their corporate name to Baltimore Monthly Meeting, Stony Run in 1944 when they began to meet at the Friends School on North Charles Street. The Orthodox branch took the name Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Eastern and Western Districts (Orthodox), and was informally known as Courtland after the location of its meeting house. Courtland was sold in 1867, and the Orthodox meeting moved to Eutaw Street. In 1922, this meeting moved again to the Homewood Meeting House on North Charles St and took the name Baltimore Monthly Meeting, Homewood.
69 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1 Men's and Joint Minutes; 2.Women's Minutes; 3.Vital Records; 4.Ministers & Elders; 5.Financial, Property, & Trustees; 6.Committees; 7.Miscellaneous Records; 8.Publications.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
The records of Baltimore Monthly Meeting before 1807, and those of Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Eastern District have been described in another finding aid: http://trilogy.brynmawr.edu/speccoll/bym/baledmm.xml
The two Baltimore Yearly Meetings were consolidated after 1968. We have used "U" (United) to describe the affiliation of monthly meeting records created after consolidation, even though some meetings did not affiliate with both the FGC (Friends General Conference) and the FUM (Friends United Meeting) at that time.
- Baltimore (Md.) -- Genealogy
- Baltimore Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Hicksite : 1864-1950 : Baltimore, Md.)
- Baltimore Monthly Meeting for the Western District (Society of Friends : 1807-1864 : Baltimore, Md.)
- Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends (Stony Run)
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Baltimore City
- RECORDS OF BALTIMORE MONTHLY MEETING - STONY RUN
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library