Baltimore Quarterly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Baltimore Quarterly Meeting, pre-Separation, Hicksite, and Orthodox, 1675-1969. Pre-Separation and Hicksite records include: men's and joint minutes, 1675-1949; women's minutes, 1775-1893; Ministers and Elders minutes, 1759-1951; and miscellaneous records, 1812-1963. Orthodox records include: men's and joint minutes, 1710-1775, 1807-1823, 1856-1941, 1956-1969; women's minutes, 1703-1766, 1774, 1855-1900; Mininstry and Oversight and its predecessors, 1852-1941; Baltimore Junior Fellowship Union, 1901-1906; Miscellaneous Reports and Minutes, 1790-1842; Miscellaneous Loose Papers, 1872-1956.
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Baltimore Quarterly Meeting (Organization)
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
Originally known as Quarterly Meeting for the Western Shore, the Baltimore Quarterly Meeting was held at West River until 1785 when it moved to Baltimore. In 1796 it became Baltimore Quarterly Meeting. At this time, the meeting was composed of Gunpowder, Clifts, Deer Creek, and Baltimore Monthly Meetings. During the Separation of 1828, two Baltimore Quarterly Meetings emerged; of the original monthly meetings belonging to Baltimore Quarter, only Baltimore and Gunpowder had enough Orthodox members to function as monthly meetings. In 1951, Potomac Quarterly Meeting was established; it was affiliated with both yearly meetings, and included Hopewell United, Goose Creek United, and Friends Meeting of Washington. Twenty years later, the two Baltimore Quarters were reorganized on the recommendation of the Yearly Meeting Committee on Quarterly Meetings; the name was changed to Chesapeake.
8 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1. Men's and Joint Minutes; 2.Women's Minutes; 3. Ministry and Oversight and its predecessors; 4. Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
6.5 is the clerk's notebook for joint meetings of Baltimore Quarterly Meeting, Homewood, and Nottingham Quarterly Meeting, Stony Run.
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1968). Baltimore Quarterly Meeting
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1968). Baltimore Quarterly Meeting
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends. Quarterly Meeting for the Western Shore
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Baltimore Quarterly Meeting
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Baltimore County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Calvert County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Harford County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Montgomery County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Anne Arundel County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Baltimore City
- RECORDS OF BALTIMORE QUARTERLY MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library