Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting and its predecessors at Clifts, Herring Creek, and Indian Spring, 1658-1992-2013. Includes men's and joint minutes 1677-2013, women's minutes 1776-1891, vital records 1658-1992, Ministers and Elders minutes 1918-62, financial and property records 1739-1950,and miscellaneous 1823-99. Also includes the minutes of Indian Spring Preparative Meeting (Orthodox), 1829-1841.
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
The lineage of Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting begins with the Clifts in 1677. This monthly meeting met variously at Clifts and West River from 1698 until 1750. In 1750, the meeting changed its name to Herring Creek Monthly Meeting and met at West River, Herring Creek, and Indian Spring. From 1771 through 1778, it was referred to as West River Monthly Meeting, and continued to rotate between the three locations. Due to declining membership, the meeting met consistantly at Indian Spring from 1778 to 1795 and bore the name of that meeting. Beginning in 1795, Indian Spring Monthly Meeting rotated between Indian Spring and Sandy Spring. During the Separation of 1828, most of the membership affiliated with the Hicksite branch of Friends. In 1846, the Hicksite meeting formally adopted the name, Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting, by which it is known as today. In 1949, Sandy Spring and Ashton Monthly Meetings united to form the Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting of Friends (United).
The small number of Orthodox Friends eventually joined Baltimore Monthly Meeting (Orthodox), identified as the Indian Spring Preparative Meeting, Orthodox. This meeting was discontinued in 1841 and membership joined to Baltimore Preparative for Eastern and Western Districts.
7.5 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1.Men's and Joint Minutes; 2.Women's Minutes; 3.Vital Records; 4.Ministers & Elders; 5.Financial and Property Records; 6.Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
Vol. 1.9 includes a list of meeting dates. Vol. 1.10 and 1.12 include dates of meetings and appointments. Vol.1.16 includes committee listings and misc. correspondence to Baltimore Yearly Meeting. Vol. 1.19 includes proposed budgets. Vol. 3.1 includes Mary Moor's copy book of epistles and testimonies. Vol. 3.5 includes births, deaths, marriages, and removals. Vol. 3.6 includes births, deaths, marriages, and removals. Vol. 3.8 includes a letter concerning the disownment of Ezekiel Hopkins. Vol. 3.10 includes marriages. Vol. 4.3 contains minutes of Ministers and Elders Quarterly Meeting for the Western Shore 1699-1716 and accounts of Friends Stocks, 1736-1766. Vol. 6.1 includes answers to queries, misc. correspondence, requests for membership, and committee reports. For a partial abstract of records, see GEN. MSS Brown, Kirk, compiler.
- Anne Arundel County (Md.) -- Genealogy
- Calvert County (Md.) -- Genealogy
- Clifts Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1658-1750 : Calvert County, Md.)
- Herring Creek Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1750-1772 : Calvert County, Md.)
- Indian Spring Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1778-1846 : Laurel, Md.)
- Indian Spring Preparative Meeting (Society of Friends : Orthodox : Laurel, Md.)
- Montgomery County (Md.) -- Genealogy
- Prince George's County (Md.) -- Genealogy
- Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Calvert County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Montgomery County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- St. Georges County
- Society of Friends -- Maryland -- Anne Arundel County
- West River Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1772-1778 : Anne Arundel County, Md.)
- RECORDS OF SANDY SPRING MONTHLY MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library