South River Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of South River Monthly Meeting, 1757-1848. Includes men's minutes 1757-1839, women's minutes 1763-1842, and vital records 1757-1848.
Language of Materials
Records in English
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Information on reproduction policies available in the Library.
Biographical / Historical
Meetings at South River began as the Weekly Meeting of Bedford in 1754, under the care of Cedar Creek Monthly Meeting. By 1757 it achieved the status of a Monthly Meeting part of Upper Quarterly Meeting. Goose Creek, in Bedford County, was granted the status of an indulged meeting under South River Monthly Meeting in 1786 and by 1794 was established as a Monthly Meeting. In 1797 Western Quarterly Meeting was set up for South River and Goose Creek Meetings. By 1814 Goose Creek Monthly Meeting was discontinued and membership joined to South River. Western Quarterly Meeting was discontinued in 1817 and South River was again joined to Upper Quarterly Meeting. South River Monthly Meeting itself was laid down in 1847.
2.5 Linear Feet
Divided into series: 1.Men's Minutes; 2.Women's Minutes; 3.Worship & Ministry and its Predecessors; 4. Financial Records; 5.Miscellaneous.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposit, Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Bedford County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Campbell County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Halifax County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Albemarle County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Bedford County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Campbell County
- Society of Friends -- Virginia -- Halifax County
- South River Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1757-1847 : Lynchburg, Va.)
- RECORDS OF SOUTH RIVER MONTHLY MEETING (VIRGINIA)
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Haverford College Quaker Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library